New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Netgear/LCP problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sub333

sub333 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo 1GB

Hi,

I have a Mac Mini, hooked up to the internet via a Netgear ADSL+2 router (wired), and every day this week, the dreaded "LCP down" message has appeared, often for hours at a time. My broadband ISP is Wanadoo (Orange).

I've rebooted the router, but this doesn't appear to have an effect. Internet access for me is sporadic, and the router works fine one minute, but not the next. I can be on the internet, then I lose the connection for a few hours, then it comes back on with no warning, and everything's fine again - until it happens the next time.

Is this a common problem with Netgear routers?
Are there any ways of sorting out this LCP issue, or is it linked to too many Wanadoo users being online at once, etc etc?

Thanks for your help,
sub333
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Can you post the exact model number of your Netgear? That would help a bit. I have personally worked with quite a few Netgear's.

See if any of this helps. Seems many are having this problem and all are using a Netgear.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=61255

Edit: Read all of this one especially toward the end. Someone found that the power adapter for the Netgear was not giving enough power and a new one solved it!

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread...t=power+supply
QUOTE Thanks
sub333

Thanks.

It's the NETGEAR DG834 ADSL Modem Firewall router.

I do have Sky+ at home, with another Sky box upstairs, so maybe that is putting a strain on the whole system??

Have just bought a Wii, though, and want to set up online play, so will probably need to buy a new, wireless, router anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
sub333

Just checked with Orange, and there's definitely not a fault with the line, so it must be a router issue.

Are Netgear routers prone to this sort of thing?
QUOTE Thanks
lundi4burnley

lundi4burnley is on a distinguished road

hey sub333, im having exactly the same problem, same router, same isp!!! really bugging me, well actually it's my cousin's problem but i'm trying to fix it for them, username and password are all correct, i have heard that it could be due to faulty session close or somethign which you may need to contact orange about, otherwise i rang up netgear and told them the problem and he mentioned that my warranty had ended and could not provide support i hate netgear!!!! paid 80 for this router originally and its been nothing but problems since the start with it disconnecting sometimes every 5 minutes for a day!!! i'm going to try contact orange again and ask them about the session ending etc and if i find a solution i will post it here.
QUOTE Thanks
lundi4burnley

lundi4burnley is on a distinguished road

hi, i've just fixed up my cousins, ring up orange customer service and ask to be put through to technical support, then tell them the router and they do some kind of settings check, they say if you do not use your landline for two hours and keep your router on it should correct any settings problems on the router and they said they would send me a text, no text came but the next day my cousin rang up and said the internet suddenly was working.
QUOTE Thanks
sub333

Thanks.

I called Netgear, and once the internet was back on, I managed to download a firmware update, and the router has been better, but hardly perfect.

I had broadband for a year, with virtually no problems, but now, the LCP appears to go down at least once a day, even if "only" for an hour or two.

In fairness, Netgear told me that if the problem persists, they would send me a new router. I may ask for a wireless one, seeing as my wife wants to buy a laptop, and I also want to set up my Wii for online play.

Will keep you posted!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about my Linksys Wireless router | Using my Macbook Pro as a bridge for a PS3 »