New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Noob: Which router should I get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

INeedLotsOfHelp

INeedLotsOfHelp is on a distinguished road

I'm going to be a freshman in college next year and am going to be purchasing a MacBook Pro. As I understand it, I will be able to pick up on wireless connections at the campus. At home, however, I will need a router.
I have absolutely no knowledge on the subject and would like for someone who does to help out.

I've read that Lynksys is good, but might have problems with a Mac.
Again, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
INeedLotsOfHelp

No one?

Edit: Would this be a good choice?

Also, I would need to connect the router with an Arris Cable Modem. Does the connector come with the router, or would it need to be bought seperately?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

In general, if all you need is a basic way to browse the web wirelessly, they are all pretty good.

If you're in a larger city in the US, check the circulars in the Sunday paper--Office Depot, Circuit City, Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, etc. They often have sales and rebates in excess of 50% off.

If you're in a rural area, all of the above stores have their weekly ads on their websites. They honor the same pricing online.
QUOTE Thanks
INeedLotsOfHelp

Thank you!
I am thinking about buying from either Staples or Bestbuy.

I just want to make sure I'm going to be able to use the router before I buy it.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Due to the untimely death of my Linksys WRT54G, I just switched from it to the Apple Airport Extreme and am very happy with it.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I just recently upgraded to a D-Link DIR-655. It's a higher end router and generally runs around $130 (although it was on sale at CC last week for $119). So far, the range has been superior to my old WRT54G (even with high-gain antennas) and the throughput is up to expectations. I've been very happy with it overall, and I'm not the only one - the DIR-655 has been one of the most consistently well-rated routers in recent memory, taking top marks from a number of respected sources like MaximumPC and CNet.

It took a lot to lure me from Linksys, but I think this is a very nice product at an attractive price point - and it works well with both my Mac and PCs.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
INeedLotsOfHelp

That D-Link router seems very good.
I'm just not sure if I need one that good?
This would obviously be my first router, and I would most likely only have my soon-to-be-bought MacBook Pro connected to it.

Would you recommend the D-Link or the Linksys?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedLotsOfHelp View Post
That D-Link router seems very good.
I'm just not sure if I need one that good?
This would obviously be my first router, and I would most likely only have my soon-to-be-bought MacBook Pro connected to it.

Would you recommend the D-Link or the Linksys?
Those are two different classes of routers, one is very high-end, the other is very low end. If you need long range and high-speed LAN transfers, the D-Link will fit the bill. If your needs are more basic, the Linksys should be OK.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
INeedLotsOfHelp

Well I live in a fairly small house, so I don't believe I need a huge range.
And I'm going to be doing graphic design, so I'll need to be able to use the Internet at a high speed while having multiple other applications open. So I suppose I have pretty basic needs.

Side note: Which Middletown, PA? I might live semi-close to you.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedLotsOfHelp View Post
Well I live in a fairly small house, so I don't believe I need a huge range.
And I'm going to be doing graphic design, so I'll need to be able to use the Internet at a high speed while having multiple other applications open. So I suppose I have pretty basic needs.

Side note: Which Middletown, PA? I might live semi-close to you.
I didn't know there was more than one. Just outside of Harrisburg, famous for being home to Three Mile Island.

QUOTE Thanks
INeedLotsOfHelp

Hmm, about 4 hours then.

Thanks very much for the help.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help With Wireless Connection. | backing up to time capsule is slower than transferring files to external disc »