Specs:
    iMac G5
    Changing IP Address?
    A buddy of mine told me its a good idea to change your IP Address every few months or once a year, for security purposes? Ive never changed mine and wondered how i go about doing that? I dont know if this matters but my Internet Provider is Comcast. Any ideas on how to change my IP address?
    Thanks guys.

Ever get frustrated with your mac? Just go work on Windows for an hour, then see how good you have it.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Turning your modem off and back on will release your current ip address and connect to another one. The problem is you might get the same ip address again. Your isp will only have a small block of addresses.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dstbd View Post
    A buddy of mine told me its a good idea to change your IP Address every few months or once a year, for security purposes? Ive never changed mine and wondered how i go about doing that? I dont know if this matters but my Internet Provider is Comcast. Any ideas on how to change my IP address?
    Thanks guys.
    Your buddy is a little confused. Your modem is leased a public IP address by Comcast, it is renewed or changed by DHCP every now and then. Also, rebooting your modem will generally update your DHCP lease. The machines behind the modem (and/or router) will get a private IP address - and that rarely needs to be changed, and if so, should be handled by the modem or router automatically (depending on your config).

In short, there's no need to manually change your IP address unless you've got a sophisticated home network and are familiar with TCP/IP.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Are you even allowed? If your IP changed, couldn't you access forums you where banned from?

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamma6 View Post
    Are you even allowed? If your IP changed, couldn't you access forums you where banned from?
    I wouldn't say it's as much about being "allowed" as being "able to". Your modem asks for an address and your ISP gives it one from a pool. Typically, it doesn't change a whole lot and is still in a particular range. Most serious bans are for a range of addresses.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Specs:
    iMac G5
    Its not for a ban of any kind. I was just curious. Thanks guys.

Ever get frustrated with your mac? Just go work on Windows for an hour, then see how good you have it.

Thread Information