New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme problem: no wifi when connected to router

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dimlocator

dimlocator is on a distinguished road

My new provider installed cable modem & router. From the new router I connected an ethernet cable to my airport extreme base station (which had worked fine with the old set up, connected to another modem) An ethernet cable from the base station to the mac (OS X 10.5.2) works fine, so the connection is ok.

But: Wirelessly the base station doesn't work. I've tried resetting etc, but I can't solve the problem indicated by a flashing amber light & this error message: "Your Apple wireless device does not have a valid IP address. Make sure your Apple wireless device is connected to your broadband modem, verify your settings.." I set it to use DHCP, which I though assigned IP addresses automatically, so why do I need to set fiddle with this? Do I need to assign an IP address manually (if so how do I obtain it?).

Help! I am a non techie, & use make because I thought one was free of this hassle!
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Chances are both your new router and the AirPort Extreme are acting as DHCP servers and stomping all over each other, using addresses in the same subnet.

Is there any chance you can eliminate the cable company-supplied router? That would be the easiest thing to fix.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
dimlocator

dimlocator is on a distinguished road

I got it to work! Still seems like strange voodoo to me, & I'm not really sure what I did, other than keep on fiddling with it till it worked...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 interfaces, but only 1 can see beyond gateway | New mass storage on my home network »