New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

connecting iMac w/Airport to wireless network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dyusem

dyusem is on a distinguished road

Just moved into a new home and I am making a valiant attempt to connect my girlfriend's G5 iMac to a wireless network (linksys WRT54GS) however I can't figure out how to see that network (or any of the others that I see on my WinXP laptop.)

Is it possible to connect in this manner and if yes, could someone please hold my hand and provide guidance?

Thanks!
David
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

1. Assuming you have an Airport card installed..
  2. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences.
  3. Click the Network Icon.
  4. In the Show: field, make sure that Airport is selected
  5. In the By default, join: field, select Preferred Networks.
  6. Click the plus (+) sign to add a network. You will then see this window:

.Add the name of your Network or click down arrow for available networks.
  7. Click Apply Now.
  8. The airport signal on the top right corner of your window should now show connectivity and you should be able to use a web browser, e-mail or any other application that requires a network connection.

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
dyusem

Thanks for the direction.

When I get to step #4 the "By default, join" dialog box is grayed ot and says "A specific network" however I am unable to choose anything...I suspect that is where the problem is.

My router is very close and I have a neighbor's whose is quite close as well. Could I have an Airport problem???

Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Are you able to select the "+" sign, at the bottom of the window? (to add a network)
If not, try running the AirPort Setup Assistant. (Applications/Utilities)

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
dyusem

Just figured it out: I was using Internet Sharing at the old location and once I turned it off and re-booted the iMac, I was able to see all available networks.

Thanks much for your assistance...it is greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP! KEY not working (cannot connect 2internet) | Slow wireless transfer on local network (24 Mb/sec) »