New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

sharing internet with windows

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frydek

frydek is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I've been trying to connect to the internet with my PC through my Mac and it's been impossible.
Been googling and researching for 2 days and I'm going a little crazy
This is what I've got:

Mac (OS 10.4) : port ethernet 1 (connected to router): IP 192.168.0.2, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, gateway: 192.168.0.1
Port ethernet 2 (connected to PC) IP: 10.1.0.1, subnet mask: 255.255.255.128, gateway: blank (or 10.1.0.1 but doesn't make a difference)

PC (win2k): IP 10.1.0.2, subnet mask: 255.255.255.128, gateway: 10.1.0.1

I can share files but can't go on the internet with the PC.
I'm using firefox and I've set proxy settings to 10.1.0.1 port:?? (tried many but not too sure what to take).
And I've obviously turned on internet sharing on the mac.

Must say I've ran out of ideas. Managed to do this with 2 PC's but first time I'm trying with a Mac.
Help would be much appreciated. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Have you enabled internet sharing under System Preferences?
QUOTE Thanks
frydek

yes I have
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Sorry, missed that!

The way you're set up now, aren't the two ethernet connections basically running to separate networks?
Can you set up the 2nd ethernet connection to use a 192.168.0.x addressing as well and set the gateway for the PC as the router's address?
QUOTE Thanks
frydek

Have changed to 192.168.0.3/4 but for some reasons I could no longer connect to the internet with the Mac.
So went back to previous IP's. I remember that I read somewhere that a guy used this config and made it work.
I'm not too sure how I should config proxy server on mac either. I tried many different settings on both Mac and Firefox (PC Client) but no results.
I'm very close to give up and get a switch...
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

That would probably be easiest

Or get a router with multiple ethernet ports...
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
That would probably be easiest

Or get a router with multiple ethernet ports...

or a switch.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
livinlarge89

livinlarge89 is on a distinguished road

I recently moved and had to tether my desktop through my Macbook as well, I'm running vista. Just like you, I went into my Macbook system preference and turned on internet sharing, selected to share my airport connection over my ethernet out. All I did, was connect my ethernet cable between the laptop and desktop, and after several minutes of struggling, went into vistas "set up a connection or network" tool in the network and sharing center. I chose to connect to the internet, and before completing any other steps, MSN logged in, so I just exited the tool and it works great. I don't know if this will work for you, I just know it worked for me. I also realize that was a terrible explanation, but I thought I'd let you know. Good luck on getting your setup working.
QUOTE Thanks
arbushell

arbushell is on a distinguished road

Could livinlarge69 explain differently what he did , I didn't got exactly the point.
In the past I'd a similar problem and decided to gave up with Internet Sharing ,installed a free proxy WEB (SquidMan) on the MAC and finally got the access for the Win PC .
In this case I'd to configure 'internet access via proxy' on the Win PC, things that I suppose is not required with Internet Sharing
Morever immediately afterInternet Sharing was configured all LAN connections dropped, why?
L.ARb
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wireless network | Loading pages- times out or wont load »