New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

XP Asks for Password When Accessing Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

I use a Time Capsule as my wireless router. My Macbook connects wirelessly. My PC w/ XP connects via ethernet cable.

My Macbook always has access to the Time Capsule hard drive just like any other external drive. It does not ask for a password prior to accessing it.

My PC w/ Windows always asks for the password before connecting to the Time Capsule hard drive. No password is asked for to connect to the router.

How do I get a PC connected via ethernet to stop asking for a password every time I want to connect to the Time Capsule hard drive?
QUOTE Thanks
JenBell

JenBell is on a distinguished road

I spent ages looking for an answer myself until it came to me while I was sorting out another NAS system...u will need to change the way the TC disk is secured. Most people are using just a disk password, so u simply enter a password and u have access to the disk. For MS OSs to access u have to change the mode to user accounts, which will make ANYTHING u already have on the TC disk unreadable...basically is kills any data u have on it when u change the security mode.

Once u have changed it u should be able to log right in, I did this with a new TC but cannot be bothered at the moment to copy 800GB of the TC and then back again just so I can use it via my MS PC :-|
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenBell View Post
I spent ages looking for an answer myself until it came to me while I was sorting out another NAS system...u will need to change the way the TC disk is secured. Most people are using just a disk password, so u simply enter a password and u have access to the disk. For MS OSs to access u have to change the mode to user accounts, which will make ANYTHING u already have on the TC disk unreadable...basically is kills any data u have on it when u change the security mode.

Once u have changed it u should be able to log right in, I did this with a new TC but cannot be bothered at the moment to copy 800GB of the TC and then back again just so I can use it via my MS PC :-|
I found the setting you refer to in Airport. Will changing this make the existing data unaccessible by both Mac and PC (delete everything and restart Time Machine), or by the PC only (PC doesn't need access to Time Machine)?

Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme WinXP Printing Problem | how to download (mac noob) »