New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

HELP! KEY not working (cannot connect 2internet)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

princess

princess is on a distinguished road

basically im using a belkin ADSL modem with wireless G router, my mac connects to the internet perfectly when a key is not used to secure the connection, but due to security the people i am sharing the wireless connection with, feel the need to put a key, now when they do this, it asks me to type the key in order to connect

i have been typing the key correctly time after time and it keeps saying invalid password and is not letting me connect to the network but everybody else with windows laptops are connected, its only my mac that dont connect, so when the key is in use i cannot connect

could anybody please suggest how i could overcome this

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

I cant believe nobody came here to rescue the princess. Where are you ogre? I am coming Donkey.

Its possible that whoever gave you the password made a typo or you made a typo when you copied it down. Double check anyways.

Read this..This might clear out all the problems.
AirPort, Time Capsule: Joining an encrypted wireless network
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1126

Quote:
excerpt from the above apple support article

For non-Apple wireless WEP networks

If you want to join a non-Apple encrypted wireless network from a computer with an AirPort card, you must use one of two different styles for password entry (which one you must use is decided by the network administrator). They are:

ASCII password

If you were given a password that is plain ASCII text, use the double quotation mark (") before and after the password. These are case-sensitive, and they are at least five characters long for 40-bit encrypted networks or at least 13 characters long for 128-bit encrypted networks.

* Example of 40-bit: "pw123"
* Example of 128-bit: "password12345"

Hexadecimal password

If you were given a password that uses only the hexadecimal range of characters (which are: abcdef0123456789), add a dollar sign ($) before the password. These passwords are at least 10 characters long for 40-bit encrypted networks or at least 26 characters long for 128-bit encrypted networks.

Note: In a hexadecimal password, the dollar sign is called the Hex Escape. It notifies the software that the characters that follow it should be treated as a hexadecimal number. Other possible hex escapes are "0x" and "0X" (zero-x, and the "x" may be upper or lower case).

Example of 40-bit: $1234abcdef

Example of 128-bit: $12345678901234567890abcdef

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/11677-mac-forums-irc-chat.html
QUOTE Thanks
princess

lol

hey thanks for that

no i looked at the password myself and i am typing it in accurately 100% that aint the problem, i have also tried to put the $ in front of it but it is still saying invalid password i dont understand why, its annoying

any other suggestions
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess View Post
lol

hey thanks for that

no i looked at the password myself and i am typing it in accurately 100% that aint the problem, i have also tried to put the $ in front of it but it is still saying invalid password i dont understand why, its annoying

any other suggestions
If you dont mind can u post ur network key here? its not like we gonna leech your internet connection.YOu can also send me a private message.

What is your system specs? Is your mac up to date?
Is the router up to date on the latest firmware?

also go over this faq and the posts in that thread
Wireless Networking FAQ

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11677
QUOTE Thanks
princess

hey thanks i got it sorted, my dad managed to do it

finally

thanks for your help
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe