New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Airport Extreme / WRT54G Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

I am purchasing an Airport Extreme either tonight or tomorrow morning. I've read that I can set it up to either run in "N" only mode or "N, G and B" mode. When it is set to run in the latter, if a G or B device is on the network, it slows all the devices on the network to that speed. The solution is to run the Extreme in "N" only mode and run a second router, the source suggests an Airport Express, in bridge mode to cover those slower devices.

Not wanting to cough up another $100 for the Airport Express at the Apple Store today, I was wondering if I could run my old WRT54G in bridge mode to cover those G and B devices?

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You could use the WRT54g as a WAP (Wireless Access Point). I have one here set up that way on a different channel for some older machines that will not work with G or WPA encryption either. Works great. I have 4 WiFi routers in fact all on different channels for different ends of the house and different machines. Never had an issue. Only one is set up as a Router plugged into my DSL modem. The others are set up as a WAP. DHCP turned off. The main router takes care of all that.

I repair a lot of systems and have to be able to test their WiFi and some are older and only support WEP and 11mbps..

Hope that helps.

By the way, the one router I have set to WEP is not kept online except when needed as I really do NOT trust WEP here in my area! To easily hacked.
Never had one person get into my other routers and WAP's set to WPA2.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Excellent. "Bridge mode", I believe is an Apple term but is essentially WAP and automatically disables DHCP. The Airport Extreme will be the only router connected to the cable modem and the only one handling DHCP.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

A lot of DSL modems have a built in router that is not that good and you set it in Bridge Mode to make it bypass the router and just be a DSL modem so you can run a better external router.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
A lot of DSL modems have a built in router that is not that good and you set it in Bridge Mode to make it bypass the router and just be a DSL modem so you can run a better external router.
Cool, but we use Charter cable. We had BellSouth DSL and that is exactly what we had to do but with the cable modem it is different. 

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheMacGeek View Post
Cool, but we use Charter cable. We had BellSouth DSL and that is exactly what we had to do but with the cable modem it is different. 
Agreed. Was just pointing out what Bridge Mode is also used for.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

Well, I'm home with the Airport Extreme up and running. Now to tackle getting that LinkSys in bridge mode...

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Connection Problem. | Wireless External »