New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless External

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cknight88

cknight88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic

I have recently purchased an external hard drive, and would like to make it wireless on my network so as to access all the contents on multiple computers, both mac and pc's. I would also like to be able to save to it wirelessly if possible.

I have a BT homehub, and was just wandering whether its a simple plug in job or whether there's other forces at play? Also any links to any guides anyone has about setting this up with any router would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers guys.
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Does your homehub support a hard drive? I'm not sure that it does. You'd probably be better off just buying a NAS (something like this)
QUOTE Thanks
Pigchops

Pigchops is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook

Unless your hard drive has an Ethernet connection, you will need some way to add it to your network. An Airport Extreme or Time Capsule will allow you to turn a vanilla hard drive into a network drive. IIRC there have been some issues with BT Homehub and Airport but I think these have been ironed out now.

HTH
QUOTE Thanks
cknight88

cknight88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.4AlumBook, 4g iphone, 64wifi iPad, Atv2, Ipod classic

thanks for your replies...

my hard drive doesnt have an ethernet port, but the homehub does have a USB port?

also what is NAS? So if i was to buy an airport extreme, i could hook up any normal standard hard drive to it, with the router doing the work of sharing?

thanks...
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

Try sticking it in the USB then and see what happens - it'll either work or it won't.

NAS - Network-Attached Storage. It's an external HDD with ethernet, so it connects to your network via your router (sorry, that was a bad explanation, Google).

If you were to buy Airport Extreme (or the new express I think) you would be able to hook up a normal external to it and access it over the wireless network.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Extreme / WRT54G Question | Is Alltel broadband compatible with Mac? »