New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Unstable Airport

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

This is getting ridiculous. I remember when 10.5 first came out, people mentioned having issues with their Airport connection frequently dropping out. I figured Apple would fix it pretty quick... and I haven't heard anything since, but my Airport is still incredibly unstable - sometimes requiring me to turn it off then on again every 30 seconds. I can go whole days without losing the connection (oh look, it dropped out as I type) then the next day I have to reconnect every 30 seconds. It's so frustrating. I love my Mac, but I don't like putting up with quirks it shouldn't do. And this is more than a quirk. (Airport dropped out again here)

Did anybody ever find a fix for this? Am I alone on this one or do people still have issues with it?

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
ernie2249

ernie2249 is on a distinguished road

No, you are not alone on this issue. I am using airport extreme. My Mac is connected via cable to airport. Earthlink my cable/internet provider uses DHCP configuration. With my old router (Linksys) I never dropped the connection. Now, everytime the computer goes into sleep mode, upon wakening, I have lost the connection. The only good thing is, after a few seconds (5-10), airport finds the IP address and reconnects. Have called Apple support twice on this (only had the airport extreme for one week). They keep trying different tweaks to the settings, but so far nothing has worked.
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukeh View Post
This is getting ridiculous. I remember when 10.5 first came out, people mentioned having issues with their Airport connection frequently dropping out. I figured Apple would fix it pretty quick... and I haven't heard anything since, but my Airport is still incredibly unstable - sometimes requiring me to turn it off then on again every 30 seconds. I can go whole days without losing the connection (oh look, it dropped out as I type) then the next day I have to reconnect every 30 seconds. It's so frustrating. I love my Mac, but I don't like putting up with quirks it shouldn't do. And this is more than a quirk. (Airport dropped out again here)

Did anybody ever find a fix for this? Am I alone on this one or do people still have issues with it?
I was having the same exact problems as you were. My HP Pavilion dv6768 Special Edition would surf right away with no problems at all....but my MacBook on Leopard seem to struggle some. I tried different DNS settings on my router and Airport. I also tried unplugging router, turning off/on my airport, etc.

I have a tip that hopefully will help you. Since I have done this my Internet is back to blazing fast, no more problems, etc. I have a Linksys router so I went in to the admin page and changed the wireless channel to: 9 - 2.452GHz.

Since changing my wireless channel I have no more problems on my Mac. Not sure if this will be of help to you, but it sure fixed my problems on my Mac.

Good luck <><

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

The only time I've had drop out problems on wireless it turned out that I had the AP set to the same channel as a neighbor.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastor View Post
I was having the same exact problems as you were. My HP Pavilion dv6768 Special Edition would surf right away with no problems at all....but my MacBook on Leopard seem to struggle some. I tried different DNS settings on my router and Airport. I also tried unplugging router, turning off/on my airport, etc.

I have a tip that hopefully will help you. Since I have done this my Internet is back to blazing fast, no more problems, etc. I have a Linksys router so I went in to the admin page and changed the wireless channel to: 9 - 2.452GHz.

Since changing my wireless channel I have no more problems on my Mac. Not sure if this will be of help to you, but it sure fixed my problems on my Mac.

Good luck <><
Ok, I've changed my wireless channel. Lets hope that worked... can't say until I've been using it for a few days at least, but it hasn't dropped out in the past couple of minutes which is a good sign...

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC IBOOK G4 Questions | help needed from a newbie! »