New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wi-fi spots where?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrRich

MrRich is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool

I hope wi-fi is the right word. I'm a total newb when it comes to wireless internet. I don't even have my new iBook yet.

Anyway I have a simple question I hope. How do you know what stores, places in a city, (so outside a store) and anywhere else have a wireless network?

Is there a website to check, like some sort of directory?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

They normally have a sign up somewhere.

For example: The san francisco coffee bar near university has a sign on the counter offering wifi services free with a large beverage or for a few 's per hour...

My university has green signs up at certain points indicating wifi coverage...

Most likely you'll just see a sign.. I don't know of any directory...

It's not EVERYWHERE (yet) as some people would like you to believe. A sales guy actually told my friend who was buying a (PC) laptop that he would be able to surf on the train all the way around town!?!

And THAT was his argument for buying an external wifi device, although there was one built-in???!!!
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

check out

www.wifinder.com

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
mig.gentry

mig.gentry will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
I prefer intel.jiwire.com it gives you a rough guide to cost as well. As far as i can tell they have about the same number of hotspots listed
QUOTE Thanks
IanCT

IanCT will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich
It's not EVERYWHERE (yet) as some people would like you to believe. A sales guy actually told my friend who was buying a (PC) laptop that he would be able to surf on the train all the way around town!?!

And THAT was his argument for buying an external wifi device, although there was one built-in???!!!
Maybe he meant Cell Phone WiFi, PCMCIA Cards with an external antenna. Which is quite expensive BTW (approx $80 to $90 a month!) - I don't know what the max data usage limit is per month for something like that (10MB, 100MB, etc)
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

No, he just meant plain old regular wifi.

Cell phone wifi is called UMTS over here in yurrup, and the cards are only supplied by the carriers (t-mobile, vodafone etc.), this was just your standard generic WLAN card he was trying to sell...
QUOTE Thanks
code777

i work downtown in the city and there are tons of wifi spots. The corporation I work for has it but you need a WEP key to access the network. However if I just walk around outside I can link up to many unsecured wireless networks. There are three bars/cafes that have it for free but it goes to show, secure your wireless networks!
QUOTE Thanks
UnderOath

my university offers it free, but it always is quite slow - i can usually hook up to at least 3 right in my neighborhood... i know im bad
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

My college has it in just about every building, it would be nice if it would work outside but it doesn't. Those search sites that people posted links to are nice, but the best local place around me that has FREE wifi is Panera bread, and it isn't listed on any of those sites. If you have one of those around might want to check to see if they have it.
QUOTE Thanks
code777

my friend told me of an "unauthorized" wifi war-driving page that had actual "locations" (private homes and businesses) but i am pretty sure it has been taken down because of privacy issues. that's scary... secure your networks!
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by code777
my friend told me of an "unauthorized" wifi war-driving page that had actual "locations" (private homes and businesses) but i am pretty sure it has been taken down because of privacy issues. that's scary... secure your networks!
always use wep and require a password for network access.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I recently spent some time in Waikiki on business. My hotel offered "limited" wireless access for $11.99/day. By limited they meant it only worked in certain rooms on certain floors. I asked for and was given one of these rooms. When I turned on my iBook, it found the Hotels network, but had issues connecting to it. Along with my hotels network, I found 5 other networks within the vicinity, 3 of them did not have WEP enabled and had no password requirement. I chose the best signal of the 3 and surfed the web for 4 or 5 days for free off some poor schmucks network. His d/l speed was 1.1Mbps. The nearest likely home for this network was a Condo complex between 500 and 1000 yards away from my hotel, unless the Burger King of the Catholic Church across the street had their own wireless setup.

My point here is, it never hurts to look. It's amazing how many open networks you can find to get on and surf from. War-Driving is alive and well and fairly entertaining.....

QUOTE Thanks
NightWolf0829

Hey, new poster here. I am new to the WiFi scene, but i found this site helpful, www.wardrive.net tools and there is (was) a list of notified spots!

My $.02
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

just use an app like macstumbler to find wireless connections that arent using wep.:mac:
QUOTE Thanks
MrRich

MrRich is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iBook G4 256MB 1.33 GHz, 60GB hard drive, airport extreme, combo drive. Also own a PM G4. Old Skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
just use an app like macstumbler to find wireless connections that arent using wep.:mac:
Where can one find that? Is it freeware or shareware? Thanks

*edit* Also reading the previous link, I'm not looking to "steal airspace" to surf wirelessly. All I wanted to know is where you can surf wirelessly. From most of the sites I've read, a lot of places you need some subscription service.

Ah well I mainly want to be wireless for a small home network anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help newbie speed up internet connection G5 & DSL | Airport Express & non-Apple Wireless Network »