New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

AirPort Express as a Reciever?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

y-guy

y-guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers

I'm a newer Mac user and so far I've been very happy. The more I get into reading about the various Apple hardware items the more I get interested in adding some.

In particular I've read about the Apple AirPort Express. The ability to use it too hook up to my home stereo is the key feature I'd like to have. Currently my Linksys WRT54GX handles our household networking (Mac, TiVo, 2 XP, 1 Vista) just fine. The Mac is the only one that could use the N standard.

The problem is that my LAN cable is upstairs plugged into the Linksys, and I have no desire to run a cable downstairs for the AirPort. So, my question is can the AirPort be setup as a reciever to use the existing wireless network and allow me to plug into the stereo or am I asking to much for how its designed?
QUOTE Thanks
fyrman22

fyrman22 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano

If its only going to the stereo it can be linked just to the computer you'll also be able to print to it. Not sure if you will be able to use it to extend your network from the linksys though.

QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by y-guy View Post
I'm a newer Mac user and so far I've been very happy. The more I get into reading about the various Apple hardware items the more I get interested in adding some.

In particular I've read about the Apple AirPort Express. The ability to use it too hook up to my home stereo is the key feature I'd like to have. Currently my Linksys WRT54GX handles our household networking (Mac, TiVo, 2 XP, 1 Vista) just fine. The Mac is the only one that could use the N standard.

The problem is that my LAN cable is upstairs plugged into the Linksys, and I have no desire to run a cable downstairs for the AirPort. So, my question is can the AirPort be setup as a reciever to use the existing wireless network and allow me to plug into the stereo or am I asking to much for how its designed?
It sounds like what you want to do is set up the Airport Express to serve as a wireless relay to extend the signal from your Linksys. I thought it only worked in that function with the Airport Extreme base station, but Apple's page implies differently so you should be good to go! I use an Express with my Extreme network myself like how you want to with the Express connected to the stereo and it works most awesomely!
QUOTE Thanks
y-guy

y-guy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers

Thanks for the feedback. After digging more I found this note at the bottom of the page "AirPort Express can extend the range only of an AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network." So to do what I want I'd first need an Extreme, which may happen but not right now.
QUOTE Thanks
Pigchops

Pigchops is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook

You don't need an AirPort Extreme simply to use the AirTunes function, it's only if you want to use the AirPort Express to extend the actual WiFi network.

HTH
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 router connection issue on upgrade | HELP>>>Router Problems »