New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Good router for Mac OS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ricky55

Ricky55 is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have two macs, and iMac and a Mac Book Pro, both new and both running Leopard.

I have had them linked to the web via a DLink router that has now broken.

The Dlink router that I had was an old model so I decided to buy a Netgear ADSL Wireless Router.

This does work with the Mac but loading certain pages can take ages and sometimes they dont load at all. I have windows XP running via Pararells and this is loading the said pages in no time so it's definiely a problem with the mac.

Could you recommend a good adsl router that does work well with the mac?

Do Apples Airport stations work with ADSL or are they just for cable?

Thanks

Ricky55
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

You will need a cable modem in addition to the Airport Extreme.

Here's a picture of the back of the AEBS:
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

I'm currently using the Linksys WAG200-G. It is a G spec router with ADSL built in. If you want 'n', linksys has one of those as well. And very easy to set up.
QUOTE Thanks
J_K

J_K will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD

I've just got a linksys WAG325N and it great.
I run a mixed network now and it took me 3 minutes to completely set it up including WPA2 security on the wireless.

When I say mixed network, I mean mac and PC and wired/wireless.

Great bit of kit and being draft N, you get really high bandwidth wirelessly for transfering files etc.

First came a shuffle. Then an 8gb 3rd gen nano.
Next a macbook.
Then an Ipod Touch. And a Nikon D300. Not an Apple but gets used with the macbook
QUOTE Thanks
Gbeav

Gbeav is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 Macbook

I couldn't explain how happy I am with the Airport Extreme N. I get a full signal compared to reduced ones on a G network.

It costs more, but for a reason. Applecare also extends a warranty on it to 3 years.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

I am currently running a LinkSys WRT54G. My wife and kids keep staking things on it, despite my warnings so I've resolved to let them destroy it. At which time I will replace it with an Airport Extreme. I hear it is an awesome router and, naturally, will work well with our Macs.

QUOTE Thanks
richardwinning

richardwinning is on a distinguished road

If you are prepared for the hassle you could try reloading the Mac OS. I have a D-link router that worked OK with my iMac when a Netgear Ragemax router would not . This was resolved by reloading the Mac OS.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTheMacGeek View Post
I am currently running a LinkSys WRT54G. My wife and kids keep staking things on it, despite my warnings so I've resolved to let them destroy it. At which time I will replace it with an Airport Extreme. I hear it is an awesome router and, naturally, will work well with our Macs.
I would also go in for the Airport Extreme. Just that out here it costs $300 for the Extreme which is way too much. For $180, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How Can You Network Or Lan A Mac And Pc? Or Can You? | error message when trying to print »