New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

More Time Capsule set up problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CarolineH

CarolineH is on a distinguished road

Hiya,
I've just bought a time capsule to use as purely an external hard drive and wireless router. I am running 10.4.11
I am running it through an exisiting cable modem which I must use and for some reason just cannot get an internet connection. It's constantly flashing amber.
I have a macbook pro which I want to connect wirelessly and an imac which I want to connect via ethernet.
Question is, which one do I use to set it up, and which options do I choose? I currently don't have wireless at all but the options confuse me. From the Imac I want to connect via ethernet but I also want to set up a wireless network. I tried setting up the wireless network but then I lost all my options and all airport utility would let me do was keep rescanning for one. In the end I had to reset the Time Capsule to get the set up options back.

Help!

QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineH View Post
Hiya,
I've just bought a time capsule to use as purely an external hard drive and wireless router. I am running 10.4.11
I am running it through an exisiting cable modem which I must use and for some reason just cannot get an internet connection. It's constantly flashing amber.
I have a macbook pro which I want to connect wirelessly and an imac which I want to connect via ethernet.
Question is, which one do I use to set it up, and which options do I choose? I currently don't have wireless at all but the options confuse me. From the Imac I want to connect via ethernet but I also want to set up a wireless network. I tried setting up the wireless network but then I lost all my options and all airport utility would let me do was keep rescanning for one. In the end I had to reset the Time Capsule to get the set up options back.

Help!

Reset the Time Capsule by pressing that little recessed button at the back of the TC.

First connect the ethernet cable from the LAN port of your cable modem to the WAN port in the time capsule.

Secondly Connect the ethernet cable from the LAN port of the Time capsule to your Macbook.

Then follow the instructions i have posted in this thread
Setting Up Time Capsule - Problems

When you come to step 8, select SHARE A SINGLE IP ADDRESS USING DHCP AND NAT

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/11677-mac-forums-irc-chat.html
QUOTE Thanks
CarolineH

CarolineH is on a distinguished road

It's ok all sorted. I reset the modem and the time capsule at the same time and everything seems to be working ok. Thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
mollyrox

mollyrox is on a distinguished road

CarolineH,
I have recently bought a TC and am keen for it to appear in finder as an external device that i can simply drag files in so that i can store them there without having them on my laptop.
Since you sorted yours out does it appear as a hard drive or is it only there for time machine?
If you think you can help can you let me know how you set up the TC?

Thank you

Molls
QUOTE Thanks
wijo

wijo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojonandha View Post
Reset the Time Capsule by pressing that little recessed button at the back of the TC.

First connect the ethernet cable from the LAN port of your cable modem to the WAN port in the time capsule.

Secondly Connect the ethernet cable from the LAN port of the Time capsule to your Macbook.

Then follow the instructions i have posted in this thread
Setting Up Time Capsule - Problems - Mac-Forums.com

When you come to step 8, select SHARE A SINGLE IP ADDRESS USING DHCP AND NAT
Hi mojonandha!
I followed your step by step procedure from the other thread until the part where you say unplug the ethernet cable from your Mac. I did that but then I couldn't connect wirelessly to my TC. My Network doesn't show anything at all. Though I can connect to the internet using the Ethernet cable connected to the TC & my TC has a steady green light.

I can also connect my iPhone wirelessly to the TC.

I want to connect my Macbook wirelessly as well. Any help please...

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mollyrox

mollyrox is on a distinguished road

when i couldnt see the TC i had shared devices hidden on the left bar of finder. if you have it visible, from preferences, can you hit connect in there?
QUOTE Thanks
wijo

wijo is on a distinguished road

I finally identified my problem!
My system detects interference from other wireless networks. That's the reason why I can't connect.

Now everything's working fine after I reset my TC & setup manually and changed the channel.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Capsule Help! | sharing a document between 2 computers »