New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

how to stretch a wireless signal ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vzippa5

vzippa5 is on a distinguished road

i have a wireless modem located in my living room which sends a signal about 30 or 40 feet, but i want to run it all the way to the other side of my house where my room is.

one problem is, there is a thick stone wall in the way, which prevents the signal from traveling all the way to my room.

Can anyone suggest a system to stretch my wireless signal? I thought maybe I could use an airport express, but perhaps there is a cheaper solution?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
kmkl

kmkl is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD

ye... i want to know to, how to link two routers, or w.e. the term is
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Purchasing a wireless repeater should help increase the signal. You can purchase one of these at pretty low prices these days.

Here is a few links that might help improve your wireless network:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...elesstips.mspx

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...vehomewifi.htm

http://www.sciencetext.com/10-tips-f...s-network.html

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks
ogacon

ogacon has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs:  15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver

What about an airport express? I think those can pick up wirelessly, as well as transmit the signal. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but I think that is right.

Relay For Life Support me in Relay For Life! Run by American Cancer Society. Cancer research.
What sound does your Rooster make?
QUOTE Thanks
youthpastor

youthpastor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogacon View Post
What about an airport express? I think those can pick up wirelessly, as well as transmit the signal. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but I think that is right.
You are right...it can be used as a repeater. I was just offering several other options that may help out. Thanks for the input though ogacon

New MacBookPro | 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo |2 GB RAMMac OS X Leopard Version 10.5.5 | iPod Touch 8 GB | iPod Classic 80 GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« airport express password | Connecting to a Wireless Router/Modem using my G4 »