Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    BauerHaus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2007
    Location
    Daphne, Alabama
    Posts
    22
    Network Printer Problem
    I just bought an HP L7580 All-In -One printer/fax/scanner etc. I have connected it to my router via ethernet, which is connected to my Dell Inspiron 1000 Laptop PC via ethernet.
    My iMac (which is in another room) has found the printer (wirelessly), with no problem. The problem is, when I click the print button, on the Mac, to print a document, everything begins to work properly, but the printer starts spitting out blank pages, and continues to spit them out, until I press the "cancel" button on the printer.
    Anybody ever heard of anything like this?
    Thanks, in advance,

    Steve

  2. #2

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,842
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by BauerHaus View Post
    I just bought an HP L7580 All-In -One printer/fax/scanner etc. I have connected it to my router via ethernet, which is connected to my Dell Inspiron 1000 Laptop PC via ethernet.
    My iMac (which is in another room) has found the printer (wirelessly), with no problem. The problem is, when I click the print button, on the Mac, to print a document, everything begins to work properly, but the printer starts spitting out blank pages, and continues to spit them out, until I press the "cancel" button on the printer.
    Anybody ever heard of anything like this?
    Thanks, in advance,

    Steve
    Yep, sounds like it's using the wrong driver. Did you download and install the HP-supplied driver?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3

    BauerHaus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2007
    Location
    Daphne, Alabama
    Posts
    22
    I used the supplied install disc on the PC. I didn't do anything on the Mac. The printer showed up in a list. The printer DID come with a seperate disc for Mac install. I'll try loading it on there.
    thanks,
    Steve

  4. #4

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,842
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by BauerHaus View Post
    I used the supplied install disc on the PC. I didn't do anything on the Mac. The printer showed up in a list. The printer DID come with a seperate disc for Mac install. I'll try loading it on there.
    thanks,
    Steve
    By default, Mac OS X will use a generic Postscript driver for networked printers that it doesn't have a driver for. Since most printers these days are all but brain dead (they rely on the software almost exclusively to format print jobs), the generic Postscript drivers don't work well (or usually not at all). This is why you're getting the blank pages.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  5. #5

    BauerHaus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2007
    Location
    Daphne, Alabama
    Posts
    22
    Hey,,,thanks for the info. I'll load the disc on the mac tonight.
    Thanks very much.
    Steve

  6. #6

    BauerHaus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2007
    Location
    Daphne, Alabama
    Posts
    22
    CWA107,
    That did the trick. Thanks very very much.
    Steve

  7. #7

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,842
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by BauerHaus View Post
    CWA107,
    That did the trick. Thanks very very much.
    Steve
    Cool, no problem
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  8. #8

    BauerHaus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2007
    Location
    Daphne, Alabama
    Posts
    22
    Well, you won't believe it, but my iMac lost the printer, so I reloaded the install disc and the printer started spitting out blank pages again, so I downloaded the latest drivers from HP's website, and it's still spitting out blank pages. I did NOT totally remove the software from the Mac, before doing all the above. Maybe I should have. I'll try that tonight. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Steve

  9. #9

    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,842
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by BauerHaus View Post
    Well, you won't believe it, but my iMac lost the printer, so I reloaded the install disc and the printer started spitting out blank pages again, so I downloaded the latest drivers from HP's website, and it's still spitting out blank pages. I did NOT totally remove the software from the Mac, before doing all the above. Maybe I should have. I'll try that tonight. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Check the driver settings and see what it's using. Look in System Preferences => Printer & Fax => click the printer in the left window pane => Click Options & Supplies => Click Driver tab. Make sure it's actually using the HP driver and not "Generic Postscript".
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  10. #10

    BauerHaus's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 29, 2007
    Location
    Daphne, Alabama
    Posts
    22
    Well, I totally uninstalled the original software (which is what I SHOULD have done to begin with), and reloaded the disc, and it works fine now. Thanks for the help.

    Steve

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Network Printer problem
    By sheri in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 12:22 PM
  2. Problem installing network printer
    By metalfan1 in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
  3. network printer driver problem
    By thefishofwisdom in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 05:40 AM
  4. Printer Network Problem
    By Towbar in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
  5. Network printer problem...
    By Eleven in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 06:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •