New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Networking Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Raithe

Raithe is on a distinguished road

I am new to Macs and need help setting up a networking that includes PCs. So far i have been able to get the Macs to see the PCs and the PCs to see the Macs, but i need some sort of security for the folders so that not just anyone can access them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Roody

Roody is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mini Mac 2.0ghz w/ Superdrive. 2GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive w/ Leopard OS

On the Windows PC's all you need to do is create user accounts and then right click on the directory you want to share out and choose Share and give it a share name. From there go to Security and add users you want to have access to that directory and what their specific permissions would be. On the Mac side I am still learning all that myself.
QUOTE Thanks
Mr-Fussy

Mr-Fussy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia

Im also new to macs. But i think you should solve this if you go to your home folder in any finder window and then right click info. you will then get the info tab. At the bottom you will have a list of users etc. In your case you need to restrict the privileges for all users. Havent tested it but it might do the trick.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wireless works fine, ethernet connection doesn't | HELP! with internet connection... »