New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Cannot auto-connect to Airport on TC

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sam.woodley

sam.woodley is on a distinguished road

This questions may have already been asked and answered. But I've searched hard and cannot find it.

By way of background, I have only one computer: a MacBookPro2,2. I don't specifically remember - but it is old enough (about one year) that I think it has only a Wireless b/g networking card. Previously, I connected the MacBook to the internet wirelessly, using a Westell wireless b/g router that also functions as my DSL modem. I had no problems connecting to the internet, and my MacBook would log into my wireless network automatically on bootup. However, the connection would drop intermittently. I should also mention that I live in a NYC apartment. There are several wireless networks within range. So the airspace here is crowded. But my signal strength was always strong (3-4 bars).

About a month ago, I bought a 1 TB Time Capsule (TC). I turned off wireless networking on the Westell (i.e., it now functions only as my DSL modem and an ethernet router), and connected the TC to it with an ethernet cable. I connected to Macbook to the TC with another ethernet cable, and proceeded to set up TC with the AirPort utility on my MacBook. I configured the TC to connect to the internet in bridge mood via the ethernet, and set up a NEW wireless network. Then I shut down my MacBook, disconnected the ethernet, and rebooted. I was able to manually connect to the new wireless network without any problem. Using the Networking control panel, I made sure that the new wireless network was on top of my list of my preferred networks, and I deleted the old network from that list.

Everything works fine EXCEPT my MacBook will not log into the new wireless network automatically on bootup or after going to sleep. Instead, I get a window announcing that none of my preferred networks is available, and asking me to manually select a network. My network is always on the list and, when I select it, my MacBook connects without problem. I have five bars of signal, so signal strength isn't a problem. In fact, I don't have the intermittent drops that I had using the Westell router. So I want to keep using TC as my wireless router.

This isn't a critical problem, since I can always connect manually. But it annoys the **** out of me. Anyone know a way to fix it?

Using the Airport
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

Some had a similar problem here before and he/she himself posted the resolution but i am not able to find that thread now. However i stil remember that they deleted their keychain file and recreated a new one which fixed the issue. So you can give it a try too.

Mac OS X: How to remove and recreate an inaccessible keychain
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106973

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/11677-mac-forums-irc-chat.html
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Router problem??? Airport flucuates. | internet connection sharing with xp machine »