New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

MBP won't see PC on network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evonzz

evonzz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2.33GHz 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 sdram, OSX 10.4.8

I am running Macbook pro which accesses router wirelessly. My PC is connected to router via ethernet.

I have just upgraded MBP to OSX 10.5. (havent done 10.5.2 yet). Previously in 10.4.X the in the finder window the PC shared directory always appeared when connected. Now i cannot see it at all in the finder and do not know how to make it appear.

I have tried the following:

- Creating new network through network wizard on PC Desktop and enabled sharing for relevant folders.
- enabled sharing on all relevant folders on desktop
- enabled file sharing, printer sharing, internet sharing and bluetooth sharing in System Prefs on MBP.
- tried to enter IP address of desktop in System Prefs>network>Advanced>wins

I really am stumped and frustrated as it is severely inhibiting my workflow.

Any suggestions?

RodneyE
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

In the System Prefs>network>Advanced>wins did you see your workgroup in the drop down menu It maybe just that that is your problem if you can't see your PC. Quite a few have discovered this as the fault.
I have a software firewall on my laptop which I forget to turn off sometimes too

networking my new mac and my old xp machine

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
evonzz

evonzz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook pro 2.33GHz 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 sdram, OSX 10.4.8

well i don't see the name i set for the workgroup. And i can't delete the netbios name, which i assume is the Macbook's.
Furthermore there is no firewall in place.
Stumped!

RodneyE
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Network Printer Fall Off | FTP setup for NVBackup on Palm TX »