New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

If you ever find that your Airport Extreme is dropping the signal ...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

owen5150

owen5150 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24" iMac & MB Air

... just change the channel!

I'm running a new 24" iMac and a MacBook Air off of an Airport Extreme Base Station. I was finding the signal to be strong, but unreliable as it would suddenly drop both computers for no apparent reason. It would take anywhere between 2-20 minutes to reconnect and was frustrating.

One call to Apple (I am new at this) and the tech recommended I change the channel from the factory setting, which I think was 1, to channel 11. The tech said the problem was likely interference from other devices in the area as I live in an apartment and that switching to channel 11 remedies this problem most of the time.

I've now been on channel 11 for about 2 weeks and haven't once dropped the signal from either computer. It's all good.

Again, I am new at this so this fix might very well be common sense to all of you, but hey, if you're having this problem and don't know what to so, give it a shot!
QUOTE Thanks
life of arctic

life of arctic is an unknown at this point

Thanks a lot!
I was using the Airport Extreme and getting frustrated because I would lose downloads when using torrents.
But I switched the channel and all is well.

Oh hey!
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

Yup--- could be interference from your neighbors or even within your own unit.

When I lived in a condo, I had a 2.4GHz cordless phone that managed to whack my router every time I got a call. When I changed the channel, the problem went away until I heard my neighbor's phone ring and my connection went out again.

To solve the problem, I changed the router channel again, and got a 900 MHz phone. Then a year later, I bought a house, so no more interference from the neighbors. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

This suggestion and much, much more info regarding the Wi-Fi is available here.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
jasonh2015

jasonh2015 is on a distinguished road

I just read your advise on this, and im not sure how to change the channel, there are like another 10 wireless networks around my apartment, and it keeps happening, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh2015 View Post
I just read your advise on this, and im not sure how to change the channel, there are like another 10 wireless networks around my apartment, and it keeps happening, thanks
This is done from your router's configuration web page. Accessing that web page will vary based on the make and model of the router you use. Your router's manual should cover the process. The wireless channel should be set under the heading of "Basic Wireless Settings" or something similar.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WPA & D-Link Router problem | AFP Connection Limit »