New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Setting Up Time Capsule - Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nemick

nemick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD

I bought a Time Capsule on Saturday to use with my new MBP. I have an existing wireless network but I followed the instructions in this thread and everything worked perfectly, first time. I dont know if I will have the hardware issues that some have had, but actually setting it up and using it was a breeze. Well done mojoanandha.

Thanks
Neil M.
QUOTE Thanks
wijo

wijo is on a distinguished road

I finally identified my problem!
My system detects interference from other wireless networks. That's the reason why I can't connect.

Now everything's working fine after I reset my TC & setup manually and changed the channel.
QUOTE Thanks
Carbotanium

Carbotanium is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojonandha View Post
I will try to take screenshots of the process and post tonite.
You Sir are a genius.

Thank you very much for helping me out with the same issues as the other guys.

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
stolensilver

stolensilver is on a distinguished road

mojonandha thankyou so much for posting those screen captures. I had exactly the same problem as the OP and your solution worked first time.

I don't understand why, when you have a wireless network already set up you have to click "I want to set up a wireless network" and then it asks you which network you want to join but heyho, it works and I'm delighted. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
absolutwillie

absolutwillie is on a distinguished road

I got my 1TB TC today - and have been struggling for hours to set it up. Obviously, no luck yet...

TC flashes it's amber light patiently, broadcasting a signal (Apple network 8cc6f16) that my iPhone 3G(S) can connect to - but my MBP has no such luck. (I'm running Snow Leopard, btw.)

After step 4 in your guide (click "continue"... joining wireless network), in stead of going to the screen that allows for step 5 - i get a message saying: "An error occurred joining the selected wireless network." AirPort Utility advises me to: "close the configuration window and try again". Which I do. To no avail.

And this little scene has been replaying over and over for the greatest part of the day.

Can anybody help me figure this out?
QUOTE Thanks
GB2S

GB2S is on a distinguished road

You should have a look to this tutorial

https://sites.google.com/site/engb2s...e/tcvirtualbox

there is a complete guide on how doing what you request!

Hope it is helpful for you!
QUOTE Thanks
TangerineKey

TangerineKey is on a distinguished road

I purchased a Time Capsule for the sole purpose of backing up my MacBook Pro. My husband's computer (a Dell) is connected to the internet by cable and my computer, printer etc all work off a wifi network.

For my first Time Capsule backup I used the ethernet cable from my husband's computer. After struggling to do this and finally figuring out how to properly reset the Time Capsule, I was able to do a first backup. I would like to do all future back ups wirelessly. Every backup attempt since the initial successful one has failed. The message that I get is that the Time Capsule and the computer may be on different networks.

I did not desire to set up a second or alternate wifi network. (And I don't desire to add the Dell to a secondary or alternate network.) How can I get my time capsule and computer to talk to each other over my existing wifi network?
If I should be considering a 2nd wifi network or replacing my current network, I need to understand why and have simple instructions for a novice.

Other Info:
During the set up of Time Capsule I selected to join an existing wifi network
MacBook Pro 5 3
OS X 10.6.7
Linksys router
Time Capsule 1 TB
QUOTE Thanks
taikotari

taikotari is on a distinguished road

So, here's my situation:
I had an external hard drive (500GB) that I have been using solely as Time Machine disk for a year and then last week it ran out of space. When I looked around for alternative, Time Capsule was recommended.
I got a 2TB version of Time Capsule. Successfully created a new wireless network (existing side by side with my existing one), and now assigning it to do Time Machine. It is now doing the first backup for my MacBook Pro. It seems like it is backing up about 250GB of data.

My question:
1. Does this mean it is backing the MacBook Pro from zero?
2. If so, is it OK for me to delete all the previous backups in the first external hard disk?

Appreciate your comments. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help..Cant connect to network when using windows with parallel | Recent sudden internet loss »