New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Setting Up Time Capsule - Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mojonandha

mojonandha will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imastupidaso View Post
that did it. I didn't have my MBP in the same room. Works great. thats why Imastupidaso
Your vids should stream as long as your airport has a decent signal from the TC. Doesnt really have to be the same room.

I'm such a good lover because I practice a lot on my own. - Woody Allen
Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/schwebs-lounge/11677-mac-forums-irc-chat.html
QUOTE Thanks
Kuturagi

Kuturagi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB Pro/ 2.4GHZ / 2GB

heres a question... So i set up my Time Capsule and got it all going with no network security because I really don't need it. So now I have two problems!! My xbox 360 and my Wii both are not online anymore. My PS3 and mac and other computers are doing awesome!! but not the other consoles? Anyone know what I need to do here?

Im sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions!
http://anywhere.fm/kuturagi/boosted - Enjoy my Music!
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

Mac Specs: MBP-2.5Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB, 250GB SATA, 8X Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuturagi View Post
heres a question... So i set up my Time Capsule and got it all going with no network security because I really don't need it. So now I have two problems!! My xbox 360 and my Wii both are not online anymore. My PS3 and mac and other computers are doing awesome!! but not the other consoles? Anyone know what I need to do here?
If xbox 360 is wireless capable, then you just need to join the network you created when setting up the TC, or you could just take an ethernet cable and stick it one of the LAN ports in the TC and the other end to the xbox 360. Do the same with the Wii.

Join us in IRC http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11677
QUOTE Thanks
Kuturagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojonandha View Post
If xbox 360 is wireless capable, then you just need to join the network you created when setting up the TC, or you could just take an ethernet cable and stick it one of the LAN ports in the TC and the other end to the xbox 360. Do the same with the Wii.
I have tried this. I am not knew to routers but I am new to apple routers. I tried a wired connection and a wireless but neither would allow the Xbox or Wii to connect, only the PS3. No one else has this problem/experience?

QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

I googled for "xbox 360 time capsule" and it seems there has been lots of discussion around this and someone has mentioned that older xbox 360's doesnt play nice with the TC. GOOGLE NOW to find out more.

And also try selecting only b/g in the airport utility coz your wireless adapter for xbox 360 probably doesnt support the N standard.

After connecting the ethernet cables on both ends (TC and 360) do you see xbox resolving any kind of ip address? have you set it to get ip automatically through DHCP?

QUOTE Thanks
Yellow Snow

Yellow Snow is on a distinguished road

Just jumped ship from Windows, and absolutely loving my MBP.

Thanks for all the help in setting up the Time Capsule
QUOTE Thanks
mojonandha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Snow View Post
Just jumped ship from Windows, and absolutely loving my MBP.

Thanks for all the help in setting up the Time Capsule
Welcome to the world of Mac.

QUOTE Thanks
Kuturagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojonandha View Post
I googled for "xbox 360 time capsule" and it seems there has been lots of discussion around this and someone has mentioned that older xbox 360's doesnt play nice with the TC. GOOGLE NOW to find out more.

And also try selecting only b/g in the airport utility coz your wireless adapter for xbox 360 probably doesnt support the N standard.

After connecting the ethernet cables on both ends (TC and 360) do you see xbox resolving any kind of ip address? have you set it to get ip automatically through DHCP?
I will give these all a shot... havent had my 360 on in forever wow

QUOTE Thanks
jmf8

jmf8 is on a distinguished road

I am new to the forum and new to MAC. I just bought a Time Capsule this weekend for my wife's Macbook. We have verizon fios which has one box which is the modem and the wireless box. I was able to connect the Time Capsule to the existing network wirelessly as an extender. I chose options 1 (I have a wireless network and want to add Time Capsule to it) and then 2 (have Time Capsule join network wirelessly) on the Time Capsule setup. I have 2 PCs--1 connected by ethernet and one connected by wireless. My PC with the ethernet connection connected directly to the version modem works just fine. But, now I am unable to connect to my network wirelessly with my other PC (laptop). THe error I get says "limited or no connectivety". I can join the network but it just doesn't connect. When I unplug the Time Capsule, I can connect wirelessly to the network without any problems.

I really don't need the N network and just want to keep getting my wireless from my verizon box. I just want my wife's Macbook to be able to backup and print wirelessly. I googled my problem and I found this series of posts. Can anyone help me?
QUOTE Thanks
kcrystina

kcrystina is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to thank mojonandha for providing those invaluable instructions on setting up the Time Capsule & getting Time Machine to work with it.

I had been fighting with my Time Capsule to work until I came across this post. After following mojonandha's instructions, I finally saw the green light on my Time Capsule for the first time. It was such a relief.

So again, mojonandha thank you.

P.S. Moderators, you might want to consider making mojonandha post a sticky so that others can find it easier -- if it hasn't been done yet.
QUOTE Thanks
frontman_uk

frontman_uk is on a distinguished road

Found this thread to be very useful as having exactly the same issue.

Having looked at the screenshots and instructions on the first page, I am left with 3 questions:

1. How do you follow this process if you do not have any ethernet cables? Is this another purchase I am now going to need to make?

2. Must they always remain connected to my current modem/router and iMac? (Mod./Rou. is currently sited upstairs, iMac downstairs so a bit of an issue)

3. Is this literally the only way of getting this stuff working? i.e. via cables.

I have a simple set up, 1 x Linksys WAG-354G modem/router upstairs delivering internet to numerous wireless units around the house. I bought the TC based on recommendation and have only jumped ship to the Mac world last month, a bit bemused as to why this is so difficult to get working really!? Any help with the above appreciated, thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
RichardH

RichardH is on a distinguished road

I've been going mad trying to get my time capsule set up. Your screen shots have cracked the problem. THANK YOU
QUOTE Thanks
macfan76

macfan76 is on a distinguished road

*sigh* I knew there was a reason I joined. All set up, thanks to the screens and instructions and help from everyone. Thank you.

I'm a tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
lrodk

lrodk is on a distinguished road

I recently had to erase my HD and do a complete restore from my Time Machine external drive. Luckily everything,including programs, were restored to where they were during the last backup. This mishap underscored the importance of having everything backed-up and made me truly appreciate Time Machine. As a result I am considering adding Time Capsule as a secondary Time Machine drive(in addition to the G-drive I have connected via firewire)to act as a back-up to the back-up. I was wondering if configuring TC the way it's suggested here(as a Bridge) would allow me to do that. Would I be able to do a full back-up on TC by changing the volume in Time Machine's setting to that of TC? Can I then, going forward, do back-ups to both drives by changing the volume manually? To be clear, i want two full back-up records on seperate drives at any given time. I am accustomed to doing my back-ups manually as I don't want my back-up HD running continuously or every hour or so as is suggested by Apple. My feeling is that my external HD will last longer by not being powered-on 24/7. Another reason why I like TC over simply getting a second external HD is because of the networking capability of TC. From what I've gathered, TC is capable of sending a much stronger signal vs what I have now. I get a weak signal as it is in my basement and I'm hopeful this will improve streaming to my ps3 and iPhone when I'm downstairs. Great thread here by the way and many thanks for all of the info. Cheers,Luis
QUOTE Thanks
wijo

wijo is on a distinguished road

Hi mojonandha!
I followed your step by step procedure from the other thread until the part where you say unplug the ethernet cable from your Mac. I did that but then I couldn't connect wirelessly to my TC. My Network doesn't show anything at all. Though I can connect to the internet using the Ethernet cable connected to the TC & my TC has a steady green light.

I can also connect my iPhone wirelessly to the TC.

I want to connect my Macbook wirelessly as well. Any help please...

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help..Cant connect to network when using windows with parallel | Recent sudden internet loss »