New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DCmacuser

DCmacuser is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a new Macbook Pro 17" and a time capsule last week. I connected everything up and did my first back up using an ethernet connection. When the status window pops up it says that there is 23.6 G to back up. then the count down of files, size starts... it goes for about 2 hours and at 16.89 G it stops. It doesn't say there is a problem just that it stops. When you check the size of the time capsule using the Airport Utility it says that the disk size is 19.4 G. I called the apple and talked with the techs three times. On the third time they told me to bring it back to the store and get a new one. I did and just went through the process again... guess what it did the exact same thing. My concern/worry is that it isn't backing up all my stuff for some reason.. maybe it encountered a problem on the new macbook pro.. although there is no error message to that effect. No 'the back up failed'. Is it possible the 23.6 G number in the status window is incorrect and is just an estimate?

thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I only used Time Machine while waiting for SuperDuper! to be updated after Leopard came out - but, I do not believe it backs up 'all' of the system files. It is not designed to be able to restore without an existing install of the OS on your machine. My guess is this would be the difference.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
DCmacuser

DCmacuser is on a distinguished road

I think you make a great point. How big is the Mac OS leopard?

Great point!

Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

It's been a little while since a fresh install, but I'm thinking Leopard was right around the 4 GB size you are missing in the initial TM back up.

I do remember my initial back up when I was using TM, was not as large as the used space on my drive. I do believe it only backs up your users folder, apps, pref settings and such.

Nothing wrong with TM and it seemed to work flawlessly while I was using it, but this is why I've gone back to SuperDuper! I much prefer having a full bootable backup so if anything does happen, I just simply boot to the other drive and keep going until I have the time to replace the internal drive.

TM is probably better for those that need to maintain copies of files through several modifications.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Troubles when sharing files between a pc and mac | unshare the MBA from the local network? »