New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

iMac - Router problem??? Airport flucuates.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stemo99

stemo99 is on a distinguished road

I have a linksys compact router, linked to a westell 2200 modem and I'm using Verizon DSL as my internet source. The airport strength indicator on my 20" iMac flucuates between 2 and 4 bars (strenght indicators) and the router is located directly next to the iMac. My wife has an MacPro notebook and we both have iTouch's so that's the purpose of the router. When 4 bars are indicated, the downloads flash by, with 3 or 2 bars, they are slow or even stop. My real question is, what dictates the airport indicators strength. The router, the modem or the phone line possibility. Oh yes the linksys router is an inexpensive "compact" model but it being located less than a foot from the iMac removes router location from the equation. Your help is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

My wife has an iMac and it, too, is located directly next to the router. Due to its proximity to the router, I have it hardwired in to the router and have airport disabled. This eliminates any wifi issues with her machine and, of course, her connection is faster than my 801.11g wifi I get.

QUOTE Thanks
jiarizti

jiarizti is on a distinguished road

Wifi signal gets a lot of interference from many sources, check for any radiation emitting appliances (electric motors, loudspeakers, other antennas, etc) by the way your mac is one of them, so maybe if you put your router a few feet away it will work better.
QUOTE Thanks
JohnTheMacGeek

JohnTheMacGeek has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiarizti View Post
Wifi signal gets a lot of interference from many sources, check for any radiation emitting appliances (electric motors, loudspeakers, other antennas, etc) by the way your mac is one of them, so maybe if you put your router a few feet away it will work better.
This is correct, however, I direct you to my reply. If the router is sitting that close to the iMac, what's the point of running WIFI in the first place? You would benefit more by being hardwired to the router in two ways:
  1. Higher speeds gained,
  2. Shutting off WIFI eliminates any threats from the outside of hacking into the WIFI.

QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*moved thread to appropriate forum - This is Hardware -> Airport not for an Apple Desktop*
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac, Time Capsule & External HDD - what would you do? | Cannot auto-connect to Airport on TC »