New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

How do I set the SSID for internet connection sharing over airport?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sir_christopher

sir_christopher is on a distinguished road

Here's the setup:
I am a student in a research lab at a university, and we have recently acquired a new mac mini, with OS X 10.5 (Leopard) installed. I installed the operating system, and for all purposes am the computer's administrator. The computer has a dedicated IP address through the ethernet interface. The computer is sharing this internet connection via airport, so it is acting as a router to provide wireless connectivity to some PC notebooks that we use in our lab (we primarily use PCs). The connectivity appears to work fine - my notebook, for example, is easily able to connect to the wireless network created by the mac mini.

The problem I have is that the SSID of this wireless network is set to "<my name>'s mac mini" (I assume that it is using my name because, as the person who installed the OS, it is assuming the computer belongs to me). This is not desirable because 1) I don't like having my name broadcast around the university as part of a network name, and 2) the computer doesn't even belong to me, and the name will be even more inappropriate after I graduate in a few months and leave the lab!

I have muddled around the network sharing options, but have not yet stumbled across wherever the name of the wireless SSID is set. Can someone point me in the right direction?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SMB, Samba over internet | Trouble with securing network »