New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

SMB, Samba over internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

How do I connect to a SMB share on my mac at home via the internet? I tried forwarding ports 137-139 and 445 in my router but I cant seem to connect using the Finder.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Are you using a static IP address?
http://www.portforward.com/networkin...ic-Mac10.4.htm

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
PerryLynch

PerryLynch has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro 4GB

You really don't want to open up your home network to the world via those ports. That will allow nearly everyone to have access to things they shouldn't be able to see (just Google 'smb vulnerabilities' - not all of them are windows-based).

As you're running SMB, I'm assuming you've got either a windows or linux-based file server? If so, have you tried OpenVPN? Or for an easier-to-deploy solution, SSL Explorer (which also has an OS-X version)? Running a VPN application like either of these will allow you to limit access to your files to the people that YOU choose. Not whomever chooses to look at your IP range.

Good luck,
Perry

Perry M Lynch, CISSP CISA
Mac Newbie, Security not-so-newbie
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

to make openVPN easier, try tunnelblick. it works quite well.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

Nope I was just running the vanilla SMB sharing in 10.5x. I don't leave the ports open all the time. I remote into my router and enable them when needed. What's strange is that AFP works like a charm but not SMB and yes I have a static IP. What exactly are OpenVPN and those others mentioned?
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

openVPN creates a private/secure tunnel from one machine/network to another. When connected, your computer now has two IP addresses, and can access two networks (1. the physical LAN, and 2. the openVPN). A VPN makes remote machines/networks act like a LAN.
openVPN is a bit of a bear to set up. But TunnelBlick makes it easier.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External volume disappeared | How do I set the SSID for internet connection sharing over airport? »