New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Going WiFi without AirPort

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FeralMACGuy

FeralMACGuy is on a distinguished road

I have a Mac mini I and I want to connect a Mac compatible USB wireless dongles and setup a wireless WIFI connection with my D-LINK wireless router.

Is it possible to setup a USB wifi connection between a Mac product and a Windows based wifi product????????

IF so ...Can someone guide me or have a guide to connecting the 3 peripherals together thus giving my Mac mini wifi without the AirPort Extreme.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I don't know exactly, but you'd set up the USB device as your modem. Do that in System Preferences > Network.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

To answer your question yes, you can network mac/windows devices with wi-fi. Wi-fi is platform independent.

When you say a windows based wi-fi product what do you mean?

You want to connect your mac-mini using a usb wi-fi to a wireless router. Is that correct?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what you're trying to do

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
FeralMACGuy

Yes I want to connect an USB wifi dongle plugged into my Mac Mini and use my DLINK wifi router as the base.

How do I get the MAC mini to recognize that the usb dongle wants to receive wifi communication from the DLINK wifi router????

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralMACGuy View Post
Yes I want to connect an USB wifi dongle plugged into my Mac Mini and use my DLINK wifi router as the base.

How do I get the MAC mini to recognize that the usb dongle wants to receive wifi communication from the DLINK wifi router????

thanks
which model of mac mini do you have?

What's the make on model of the USB dongle ?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

So you have one of the older Mac Mini's without the Airport card? With Dlink Dongles it all depends if there is a driver for OSX. What is the model of the DLink Dongle?
QUOTE Thanks
FeralMACGuy

I have the older G4 model MAC MINI with a DLINK wifi router.

The usb dongle is a Taiwan model but the package states that it is OSX compatible.The driver disk doesn't contain any drivers. The dongle works well on Windows but I'd like it to run on the MAC. If there are no drivers for this wifi dongle then I guess it probably won't work on the MAC??????

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeralMACGuy View Post
I have the older G4 model MAC MINI with a DLINK wifi router.

The usb dongle is a Taiwan model but the package states that it is OSX compatible.The driver disk doesn't contain any drivers. The dongle works well on Windows but I'd like it to run on the MAC. If there are no drivers for this wifi dongle then I guess it probably won't work on the MAC??????

thanks
That's hit the nail on the head I think. OS X drivers are essential as it seems any that are built in aren't suitable.

If you can't find some identifier on the dongle that would help us find drivers I think you may have to cut your losses and find another adapter with OS X drivers. Belkin make one that apple support natively. But there will be others out there.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sympatico wireless stopped working with my macbook | AirPort connection problem on iMac after waking up »