Going WiFi without AirPort
    I have a Mac mini I and I want to connect a Mac compatible USB wireless dongles and setup a wireless WIFI connection with my D-LINK wireless router.

Is it possible to setup a USB wifi connection between a Mac product and a Windows based wifi product????????

IF so ...Can someone guide me or have a guide to connecting the 3 peripherals together thus giving my Mac mini wifi without the AirPort Extreme.

Specs:
    iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano
    I don't know exactly, but you'd set up the USB device as your modem. Do that in System Preferences > Network.
    schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
    Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    To answer your question yes, you can network mac/windows devices with wi-fi. Wi-fi is platform independent.

When you say a windows based wi-fi product what do you mean?

You want to connect your mac-mini using a usb wi-fi to a wireless router. Is that correct?

Just trying to get a better understanding of what you're trying to do
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Yes I want to connect an USB wifi dongle plugged into my Mac Mini and use my DLINK wifi router as the base.

How do I get the MAC mini to recognize that the usb dongle wants to receive wifi communication from the DLINK wifi router????

thanks

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 9.7, AppleTV (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by FeralMACGuy View Post
    Yes I want to connect an USB wifi dongle plugged into my Mac Mini and use my DLINK wifi router as the base.

How do I get the MAC mini to recognize that the usb dongle wants to receive wifi communication from the DLINK wifi router????

thanks
    which model of mac mini do you have?

What's the make on model of the USB dongle ?

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    So you have one of the older Mac Mini's without the Airport card? With Dlink Dongles it all depends if there is a driver for OSX. What is the model of the DLink Dongle?

I have the older G4 model MAC MINI with a DLINK wifi router.

The usb dongle is a Taiwan model but the package states that it is OSX compatible.The driver disk doesn't contain any drivers. The dongle works well on Windows but I'd like it to run on the MAC. If there are no drivers for this wifi dongle then I guess it probably won't work on the MAC??????

thanks

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by FeralMACGuy View Post
    I have the older G4 model MAC MINI with a DLINK wifi router.

The usb dongle is a Taiwan model but the package states that it is OSX compatible.The driver disk doesn't contain any drivers. The dongle works well on Windows but I'd like it to run on the MAC. If there are no drivers for this wifi dongle then I guess it probably won't work on the MAC??????

thanks
    That's hit the nail on the head I think. OS X drivers are essential as it seems any that are built in aren't suitable.

If you can't find some identifier on the dongle that would help us find drivers I think you may have to cut your losses and find another adapter with OS X drivers. Belkin make one that apple support natively. But there will be others out there.

Thread Information