New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Accessing my home network externally

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yabbo45

yabbo45 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a network enabled external hard drive from LaCie.

It plugs straight into my D-Ling wireless router, and I access it via an internal IP address. I just go: connect to server, then type in the internal IP address on my mac.

I want to know how I can access this hard drive externally. Is there a way I can forward the ports on my router so that I can type in my external IP address (I will have to get a static one) on a different computer outside my network and then load the hard drive onto my desktop in the same manner?

If this is possible, what port range do I have to forward and is there anything else I need to know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ben
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

There are others ..... but have a look at MioNet as a 3rd party software solution.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to appropriate forum - Thread not a FAQ Submission but a question on networking*
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Mionet seems to be a software based solution that wouldn't work if you left the house with the computer...
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakineyj View Post
Mionet seems to be a software based solution that wouldn't work if you left the house with the computer...
I use it to access my NAS drive remotely.

All that's powered up at home is the router and the attached NAS drive.

That said I have a Western Digital drive . . . MioNet may not work with other brands.....i'll check and post back.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

For MioNet to work with NAS drive the drive needs a MioNet client installed on it.

This comes pre-installed on the new Western Digital NAS drives.

I believe it used to be available for other brands but this seems to have disappeared since WD acquired MioNet.

Apologies for the off-the-mark info.

QUOTE Thanks
IronMac

IronMac is a jewel in the roughIronMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mini C2D 2Ghz 8GB RAM, MB C2D 2.2Ghz, MBP CD 2Ghz, 1TB TC, 2 APX, iPhone 4, ATV2, 23in ACD x2

If you have SMB of AFP shares setup on the NAS wouldn't you simply need to forward the respective ports. Incidentally, I have a dynamic IP from my ISP but it hasn't changed for more than a year. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a dynamic DNS service take care of IP changes.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Hmm, Mionet is a subscription service... yuck!

I'd go for a VPN solution: Grab a VPN gateway, hook it up to your router, set up DynDNS and a VPN application on your Mac and you're all set!

Plus it's encrypted and fast.
QUOTE Thanks
yabbo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMac View Post
If you have SMB of AFP shares setup on the NAS wouldn't you simply need to forward the respective ports. Incidentally, I have a dynamic IP from my ISP but it hasn't changed for more than a year. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't a dynamic DNS service take care of IP changes.
I was hoping to do it like this (without using third party software). Any idea where I could find out what ports I need to forward?

ps, thanx to everyone for your help!

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbo45 View Post
I was hoping to do it like this (without using third party software). Any idea where I could find out what ports I need to forward?

ps, thanx to everyone for your help!

Ben
Sure you could do it like that.

But so could anyone else, so your data wouldn't really be very secure. All it would take is for someone to exploit one small vulnerability and all your files go flying about on the interwebs.
QUOTE Thanks
yabbo45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptmunich View Post
Hmm, Mionet is a subscription service... yuck!

I'd go for a VPN solution: Grab a VPN gateway, hook it up to your router, set up DynDNS and a VPN application on your Mac and you're all set!

Plus it's encrypted and fast.
You have a good point about security. Didn't really think about that.

Do you know where I can get some info about how to set up a VPN Gateway, DynDNS and where to get a VPN application?

It all seems a bit complex at the moment, but I'll do some reading.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need advice: AirPort and video | pc & macbook internet access at the same time »