New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

unable to connect internet wirelessly

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macanoob

Macanoob is on a distinguished road

hi everyone, i need help here. recently i bought a brand new macbook and installed win xp pro sp2 too. everything works fine except one BOILED HOTDOG WATER problem i'm facing. under mac osx leopard i just couldnt get my wireless to work (win xp perfectly fine and working). anyone here can give me some tips or troubleshooting guide? i have tried using the Assistant and Diagnostic and report says everything is fine but i just couldnt get connected to internet.

ADSL wireless modem: 2wire model 2701HGV-E
Macbook: Leopard 10.5.2 with broadcom wireless BM43XX chipset

currently i am using ethernet connect for this connection.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Log into your router (make a note of the type of encryption your wi-fi connection is using) and temporarily turn off wireless encryption.

Try and connect again. If you can connect OK it's the type of encryption your using that's causing problems.

Log back into the router and try a different type of encryption.

Post back with your results.

mrplow

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

further exploring with the airport extreme with my 2wire. i'm using OPEN WEP for auth session. i even tried removed all PPoE services added and redo again (including power off/on my modem & restart macbook). it sucessfully connected with my newly added PPoE services. Now my session is connected but Safari showing me i am not connected to the internet. nothing shows up in screen from Safari. what's next? TIA
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macanoob View Post
further exploring with the airport extreme with my 2wire. i'm using OPEN WEP for auth session. i even tried removed all PPoE services added and redo again (including power off/on my modem & restart macbook). it sucessfully connected with my newly added PPoE services. Now my session is connected but Safari showing me i am not connected to the internet. nothing shows up in screen from Safari. what's next? TIA
I'm a little confused by what you mean by 'removing/adding PPoE services' and you didn't mention an Airport Extreme in your 1st post.

Can you connect and login to your router wirelessly now? i.e. putting http://gateway.2wire.net into Safari to get access to the router admin console?

If you can what info is showing in the Broadband Link part of the 'Network at at a glance' section?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

sorry for the confusion and i'm a mac noob, what i meant was Airport (integrated wireless hardware). yes i can enter to my 2wire thru wireless using safari. ok below is the info from my 2wire.

Access Point: 00:1f:b3:61:53:39
Network Name: ARIRANG
Channel: 11 (2462 MHz)
Authentication: WEP-Open
Encryption: WEP

i can add network services via System Preferences -> Network -> to add (+) / to remove (-) from the Network window left bottom icon.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
sorry for the confusion and i'm a mac noob, what i meant was Airport (integrated wireless hardware). yes i can enter to my 2wire thru wireless using safari. ok below is the info from my 2wire.

Access Point: 00:1f:b3:61:53:39
Network Name: ARIRANG
Channel: 11 (2462 MHz)
Authentication: WEP-Open
Encryption: WEP

i can add network services via System Preferences -> Network -> to add (+) / to remove (-) from the Network window left bottom icon.
OK. Good. At least you are connecting wirelessly now.

But can you please post the info about your broadband link please so we can ensure the router is connected to the internet. I.e. the stuff as shown on page 3 of the user guide.

QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

additional information

Internet Connection Details
Connection Type: PPPoE
Username: <my userID>
Internet Address: 220.255.147.153
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 116.14.192.1
Primary Domain Name Server: 165.21.100.88
Secondary Domain Name Server: 165.21.83.88
Domain:
Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU): 1492
Gateway Ping: Successful
DNS Communication: Successful
Configuration Server Post: Successful
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
OK. Good. At least you are connecting wirelessly now.

But can you please post the info about your broadband link please so we can ensure the router is connected to the internet. I.e. the stuff as shown on page 3 of the user guide.

sorry i need to re-do again...found my RJ45 cable still intact to macbook lemme remove it and ON my airport to access 2wire console again...report shortly...BRB
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

ok yes i can go to the console via wifi. here the info from broadband link.
(now back to RJ45 connection)

Fully Operational
DSL Link: Connected
Internet: Connected
Connection Speed:
Incoming: 13999 kbps
Outgoing: 1021 kbps
Connection Information:
Hardware Address: 00:1f:b3:61:53:38
Key Code: 52B5-26P4-6262-22T2-B26U
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
ok yes i can go to the console via wifi. here the info from broadband link.
(now back to RJ45 connection)

Fully Operational
DSL Link: Connected
Internet: Connected
Connection Speed:
Incoming: 13999 kbps
Outgoing: 1021 kbps
Connection Information:
Hardware Address: 00:1f:b3:61:53:38
Key Code: 52B5-26P4-6262-22T2-B26U
OK good.

So what happens now if you try a webpage in Safari. Try www.google.com for want of a reliable easy to reach page.

QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

before i do that...may i ask a question which puzzle me in a way or two.

under ethernet, i have a PPPoE configuration under Network.

under wifi, i also have a PPPoE configuration.

why i did that? becoz i tried using the ethernet PPPoE config under wifi, it doesnt get connected. so i created another PPPoE under wifi but i get no connection from safari under wifi.
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

nope..under wifi no activities from safari and google page not loading at all..
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
nope..under wifi no activities from safari and google page not loading at all..
any error message?

Do you have Firefox, webkit or another browser you could try?

As I see it now.....

-Your router is successfully connected to your ISP and you have a working connection between your router and the internet.
- Your macbook can successfully connect to your router wirelessly
- If you use ethernet cable you can connect to the internet using Safari
- If you use wireless you can't connect to the internet using Safari

I have to admit to being quite confused when you talk about PPPoE configs.

The only reference you should have to PPPoE is the connection between the router and your ISP.

Can you remove the one you have under wi-fi please.

Can you also tell me if your macbook is showing up under "View Network Summary" as shown on P24 of the manual.

The root of your problem seems to be your router configuration.

If after doing all of this it still isn't letting you onto the internet via a wi-fi connection I'd suggest resetting the router back to factory defaults.
But make sure you have your ISP settings/password to hand before doing so.

QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

thx u so much for your patient.

as you see, the ISP provider which i am using required me to "dial-in" to get connected to the net and they are using PPPoE for DSL. so i config my userID/pwd into the router, by right it should auto connected whenever i plug in my rj45 cable or wifi. but it doesn't until i config a "dial-in" under network connection within the window (be it Microsoft or Mac OS). so whenever i click onto my IE or firefox under MS WIN, a dialing window will pop out and automatically start to dial for connection (pre-config and saved profile done in network connection).

so likewise same for Mac OS X, i saw this adding connection using the + / - with drop down option to choose Ethernet or Airport for PPPoE. also require me to key in my userID/pwd (based on ISP) in there.

you get me so far?
QUOTE Thanks
Macanoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
any error message?

Do you have Firefox, webkit or another browser you could try?

As I see it now.....

-Your router is successfully connected to your ISP and you have a working connection between your router and the internet.
- Your macbook can successfully connect to your router wirelessly
- If you use ethernet cable you can connect to the internet using Safari
- If you use wireless you can't connect to the internet using Safari

I have to admit to being quite confused when you talk about PPPoE configs.

The only reference you should have to PPPoE is the connection between the router and your ISP.

Can you remove the one you have under wi-fi please.

Can you also tell me if your macbook is showing up under "View Network Summary" as shown on P24 of the manual.

The root of your problem seems to be your router configuration.

If after doing all of this it still isn't letting you onto the internet via a wi-fi connection I'd suggest resetting the router back to factory defaults.
But make sure you have your ISP settings/password to hand before doing so.
i also suspect is the 2wire 2701HGV-E giving me this headache. first of all, the firewall inbuilt inside it do not allow you to disable them (yeah fxxkin **** crap) neither any option under console for you to disable too.

is there anything under Mac OSX Network config table that i need to key in or set them? when i click the Advance under Ethernet & AIRPORT, you will get to see DNS / TCP IP / Proxies / PPP / etc.... do i need to do anything to them?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook Dual USB internet problems | Help with my wireless usb connection »