New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Wireless is it really possible?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tomg99

tomg99 is on a distinguished road

I just obtained my first mac a g3 ibook 500 mhz, running 10.3.9 os. I am interested in running a wireless network through it. However, when I went to look at my options, airports are to rich for my blood at $100+. I have no PCMIa so a card isn't a opition. I decided I had two usb 1.1 ports that should work fine and attempted to hook an adapter through one of them. I looked online and saw that the d-links as a whole seemed to have fair compatibility. I went with a D-link WUA-2340. It looks just like the WUA-1340, which I had seen a detailed tutorial (http://torley.com/how-i-got-my-wirel...ing-with-a-mac) on how to configure. once I plug it in, it does well, nothing. There is a flash of light as you plug it in and after that nothing. I know the usb ports work as my mouse works in both ports. I attempted to fix this using the ralink wireless configuration tool, with no success (http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Hom...acintosh.html). The tool is a set of drivers made my ralinks to support their chipsets on several different OS. I continued scoping around the internet trying to find a set of drivers that I could work with this particular system. I found this site, it seems to be very informative but I didn't know what exactly to do with what I was finding; Seattle wireless (http://www.seattlewireless.net/MacOS) It seems between the WUA-1340 and the WUA-2340 d-link contracted the hardware out to someone different. The WUA -1340 was based on a ralink chipset and from what I found the WUA- 2340 is a Atheros. I have been unable to find any drivers that blanket the atheros chipsets and in addition I have been unable to isolate which exact chipset the WUA- 2340 is . My question comes, is there an easier way to do this? This is my first mac, however I am slightly farmilar with pcs. Do I need to continue the hunt for drivers? Do I need to find myself some hack tutorials to hack a driver(little experience there)? Do I need to find a different usb NIC? Should I just buy myself a really long cable? Is there any possibility of a firewire adapter? I have searched the forums here and haven't been able to piece together a solution from all the advice. You seem to be fairly knowledgeable and I was hoping you guys could help.
Thanks,
Tom
QUOTE Thanks
Huxy

Huxy is on a distinguished road

Hi Tom

I have just brought a ibook g3 500mhz it's running 10.2.8
I have a airport card installed although I am having trouble getting it to join the wireless internet in my house!
I was wondering how your getting on trying to figure out the best possible scenario for wireless internet on you ibook..?

also do you know where I can obtain a copy of OS X v3?
I've got a funny feeling i need to upgrade to be able to get wireless properly functioning.
QUOTE Thanks
tomg99

tomg99 is on a distinguished road

I have been unable to find anymore drivers or solutions to the my issues. However setuping up the airport shouldn't be too bad as I understand it. My guess is you would need to update your Ibook. Have you tried plugging in a ethernet cable directly into your computer yet and updating it? if that does not work for you try looking at (http://davelawrence8.blogspot.com/20...irport-on.html) It seems to have a decent run through of the hard ware set up and the basic automatic software issues. You say it is installed and from what I have read I understand it can be tricky to install. The one in the tutorial is a clamshell but once you get to the card it should be the same thing. If it is more complicated software issues then check out this next site. (http://www.mackb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/...t-or-3rd-party) I would try the update first then go from there. I looked really quick and I see you can pick up a version of os x 10.3 for $98 off of amazon. I have no idea how to get it otherwise.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AirPort drivers | What does ISYNC actually do? »