New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Can someone please help me understand Time Capsule

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mabortdrummer

mabortdrummer is on a distinguished road

Ok So I was just wondering is Time Capsule basically a Airport Extreme/External Hardrive. Is it just used for backing up files on your computer or can you use it as a external as well to access any file on your Time Capsule Wirelessly? What is the speed on it? 5400? 7200? Anyone know?

Anything will help. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Yes, it's essentially an Airport Extreme with a built in hard drive. You can use it as a network drive similar to how you would with a hard drive connected to the USB port on an Airport Extreme. You can also use it for network Time Machine backups.

With the sizes available, I think it's safe to assume that Time Capsules use 7200RPM drives.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Of course, if you already have an external drive, you can now use it as a wireless Time Machine drive thanks to the new Airport Extreme update (released Tuesday).

PS I know it sounds crazy, but Apple has my house bugged. Whenever I finally cave and buy an Apple product, they update it.
QUOTE Thanks
jlautner

jlautner is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15", 2Gigs RAM, Leopard - 10.5.6, purchased Dec 10, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post

PS I know it sounds crazy, but Apple has my house bugged. Whenever I finally cave and buy an Apple product, they update it.
Same here. I just bought the time capsule because I was unable to backup wirelessly. But it is not working well anyway. I haven't backed up in ten days because it won't connect or stay connected. I might have done better getting the Extreme (I have the Express, which isn't doing anything right now).
QUOTE Thanks
Imastupidaso

Imastupidaso is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 2GB RAM Leopard

I plan on purchasing the 1 TB TC for my MBP. I do not plan on using it for time machine, but as a shared network hard drive. Can anyone speak to its speed in regards to viewing media and or cross platform compatibility? Basically, I would like to use it to house all of my libraries of music, videos, and pictures. Any objections as to why this would be problamatic?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Frustration with Time Capsule | Easy to use MAC Network Analyzers »