New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Machine now works with AirPort Extreme's AirDisk feature

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chrisblaze

Chrisblaze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz MBP 2gb ram, 200gb 7200rmp hd, 512mb 8600gt

Taken from here and here (Apple)

Quote:
Who knows why it took so long, but the latest AirPort Extreme firmware update (7.3.1, out today) finally brings Time Machine compatibility to AirDisk. In typical Apple fashion, there's no mention of it on the release notes, but the crew over at TUAW says it's working, and commenters are confirming. We're still holding out for Time Machine to work with any NAS we want, but for now, it looks like all you Airport Extreme owners who felt like you were getting played by the release of Time Capsule are finally in the game -- get those USB drives ready for some hot backup nights.
QUOTE Thanks
DistantHoller

DistantHoller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83

This is great stuff! Thanks Apple for fixing the AEBS!

A dead fish can float with the stream, but it takes a live one to swim against it.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

i tested mine and it works.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Chrisblaze, thanks so much for the heads up. I was told it was disabled in the beginning due to data corruption issues and would be enabled down the line when Time Capsule. Guess what I read was true.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

I've tested this with both my MBP and my iMac and it doesn't appear to work with either after updating both computers.

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
Chrisblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I've tested this with both my MBP and my iMac and it doesn't appear to work with either after updating both computers.
did you formatted you hard drive as HFS+?
QUOTE Thanks
scandluz22

scandluz22 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.66GHz-4gig 640GB, 15" MBP 2.2GHz i7 Quad, 750 GB, 8gig,16GB iPad2,16GB iPhone 4, AppleTV

I tried it too and I get a "Can not create backup image" error. Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

15" MBP/// 24" iMac ///iPad 2///16GB iPhone 4///AppleTV
QUOTE Thanks
jogi

jogi is on a distinguished road

You need to format the drive as HFS + Journaled with GUID partition table. Anything else probably wont work...

Also, I've heard ppl with the original 100MBit Airport Extreme cannot get it to work...

Mine works fine...
QUOTE Thanks
Dman77

Dman77 is on a distinguished road

This is typical. I returned my Airport Extreme last week because of this issue and am getting a Time Capsule delivered on Tuesday.
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Fallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant futureFallooza has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogi View Post

Also, I've heard ppl with the original 100MBit Airport Extreme cannot get it to work...

Mine works fine...
i preordered mine when they first came out and mine also works fine
QUOTE Thanks
Chrisblaze

has anyone tried this with an Airport Express?
QUOTE Thanks
riegeronimo

riegeronimo is on a distinguished road

i am thinking about time capsule..but then heard about the airport extreme backup capabilities.. sounds like a much better option in case something goes wrong with the time capsule you are out a harddrive and a router. my question is will my old airport express work as a relay station to give me better range if i do get the airport extreme. my airport express is now quite far away and i dont always get hte reception wanted. can the 2 work together?
QUOTE Thanks
Fallooza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisblaze View Post
has anyone tried this with an Airport Express?
Airport Express does not support external HDD.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Manipulating MacBook to create a wireless access point. | See Who's on My Wireless Network »