New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Uses for a Mac network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ServerGuy

ServerGuy is on a distinguished road

I wanna find a reason/use to support the building of a Mac network, I thought of a render farm but not sure how useful that would be off-site from a customer's office. Is there any other new or popular usage for say 5-10 souped up Mac Pros? I'd really like to find a use to build a big Mac Network.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

You have 5 to 10 of them and you don't know what to do with them?

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
ServerGuy

LOL, no I want an excuse to purchase 5-10 and link them together. I'm racking my brain for a use for 5-10 MAC Pros.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice

Well, I have one. I can't find a use to own a second computer at all.
I had it encoding a video while I listened to music, surfed online, and burned two DVD's. I don't know what you could really do with more than one.

Edit:
I failed to mention it was still screaming for more. It still wasn't slowing down or anything. I was doing this on the quad 2.66GHz model.

QUOTE Thanks
ServerGuy

I'm thinking rendering is about it for needing more then one.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

rendering what?

QUOTE Thanks
ServerGuy

Video with maya
QUOTE Thanks
MacsWork

MacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really niceMacsWork is just really nice
Mac Specs: Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3

Get a cluster node if you want to crunch.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Shared machines not showing in Finder Sidebar | 10.4 -> 10.5 wireless differences »