New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Shared machines not showing in Finder Sidebar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

I have a Macbook wirelessley connected to a Netgear DG834GT ADSL router which has a mixture of other wired and wireless clients - all windows - a mixture of Vista and XP, desktop and laptop. All these machines can happily share files with each other including my Macbook.

However none of these machines appear in the finder sidebar.
Cmd+K works with an IP address no problem. But never do they appear in the sidebar so I need to recall all the IP addresses. Machine names do not work.

This post may seem like well trodden ground but I can't find a solution. Searching the forum and Googling have turned up many ideas but so far none have worked.

I suspect this is a router issue. I took my Macbook to a friends business (they have the same router). All the shared machines there instantly appeared in the sidebar! So I compared the settings on the 2 routers. Nothing appears drastically different. A few different ports open to accommodate mail servers etc but nothing special. But I could be looking in the wrong place.

Is it significant that I can't use a machines name I have to use the IP address? Is this a DHCP/DNS issue?

Anyone with any thoughts or ideas?

TIA
mrplow
QUOTE Thanks
Lips2000

Lips2000 is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat but with a Belkin N1 router. Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrade to 10.4.11 results in wireless issues | Uses for a Mac network »