New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

Time Capsule Questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

greggles

greggles is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb

Hi all,

I am using a single (1TB) Time Capsule as the Time Machine backup drive for several Macs. As none of them are 80211N capable, I made the initial backups by connecting them via ethernet cable and configuring the TC accordingly. The problem comes when I want to switch the TC back into Airport mode. The only way I've been able to do this is to hold the reset button in for 5 seconds and return it to the default settings! Surely there's a better way?

Secondly, I'm concerned about the amount that's being backed up. I'm not making many changes yet each day 500MB of data is being backed up. Does anyone have any idea what non-critical data I can exclude from the backups. Just had a though - Does it backup my RSS feeds and, if so, could this account for the large amount of data being backed up each day?
QUOTE Thanks
inveresk

inveresk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Late 2012 27" Imac running 10.9

There was an article in the last MacWorld about this. Apparently Time Machine backs up your hard disk every hour. Here's a link to the article.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1321...ne1.html?t=201
QUOTE Thanks
applemonkey

applemonkey is on a distinguished road

Is there a way schedule the backups, maybe daily or weekly? Hourly seems like overkill. Apple is all about being user friendly, hourly backups doesn't make any sense for the average consumer. Businesses may benefit from this.
QUOTE Thanks
greggles

greggles is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by applemonkey View Post
Is there a way schedule the backups, maybe daily or weekly? Hourly seems like overkill. Apple is all about being user friendly, hourly backups doesn't make any sense for the average consumer. Businesses may benefit from this.
The backups run in the background and the process is almost invisible. Re:The hourly backups; if I'm working on a long document or complex spreadsheet, I want to back it up as I work on it and not wait to the end of the day/ week. In fact I often click the Backup Now button, between auto backups.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why is internet faster on my PC than my iMac? | Airport Extreme sharing printer to Windows. »