New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Internet, Networking, and Wireless Discussion of networking, internet, and wireless including Apple's Airport products.

slow internet connection....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CuriousCat

CuriousCat is on a distinguished road

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I am needing help with my internet. I just recently got back in town and my MBP internet connection seems to be slower than normal. All the bars on the airport are filled, but the pages take a good 8-12 seconds to load. Any clue what's causing this? Any ideas how to speed it up?? I have a linksys routher btw. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Have you tried restarting the router?

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
dakineyj

dakineyj will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5

Seems to be a spreading problem...

Web Page Load Issues with Safari

Internet Connection Slow - Leopard DNS/Airport issue
QUOTE Thanks
CuriousCat

CuriousCat is on a distinguished road

Ok I really don't mean to beat a dead horse... but I read that second thread you posted and I still don't understand what I need to do. Could anyone explain this to me in simpler terms? Thank you so much.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Turn the power off and leave off for half an hour and disconnect router from wall. Turn router back on at the wall and see if there has been any improvement. Next step inquire from ISP re problems.
QUOTE Thanks
Tri3

Tri3 is on a distinguished road

I did the following and it seemed to fix my problem.

Adding the OpenDNS DNS server addresses (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) to Network Preferences > Advanced > DNS.

Not sure what the heck this does, but I am able to load web pages about as fast as I was before the problem occurred.

Here is how I did it.

1. Click on or your System Preferences icon from your Dock to open up System Preferences
2. Click on the Network icon to open up the Network window
3. Click on the Advanced button
4. Click on the DNS Tab
5. Add the DNS Server addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 to the DNS list by clicking the + button.
QUOTE Thanks
jacval60

jacval60 is on a distinguished road

TRI3,
Can we use the same numbers you gave or do we have to get our own? Isn't that your own internet address you are using? Or does it belong to a linksy router? Because I have a linksy router for my imac and I have a 20 inch desktop and a 17 inch laptop, and lately my internet is very slow it is always loading now and I have broadband, and sometimes the page will come out just blank when it is done loading. I had 2Gb of memory about 4 months ago I added 2Gb more for the total of 4GB memory and I just now started having problems. Although I do not think it has to do with adding memory, because I added it a long time ago and this just started recently. I forgot to mention I have now hooked a direct link to my router and keep trying them both airport on and airport off and I still have the same problem a slow connection. Please any help you can give me will be appreciated. Also my son has a Cyber power PC hooked directly to the router the Tower is humongous it is a gaming computer, I don't think that would cause the problem he has had it for a couple years now. PLEASE HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
music210cf

music210cf is on a distinguished road

Macbook internet slow

Try this...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP internet speed very slow | Why do i have slow internet speed? »