New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto/iMovie HD or Aperture/Final Cut?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Derek McNelly

Derek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really niceDerek McNelly is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" - 2.3 GHz Quad i7- 8GB RAM - 750GB Hybrid HD - OS X 10.8

Well, for an early birthday present, my Aunt Cathy bought me Aperture and Final Cut Express. (Since I'm a film student and she's a filmmaker. We get along well. )

Now, I have iLife '08 on my MacBook, and the only applications I use are GarageBand, iMovie, and iPhoto.

I'm planning on picking up Logic Express sometime soon, so my question to you all is, is it really worth it to keep my iLife applications, or would it be better to just dump them in favor of their respective Pro applications?

I'm leaning toward dumping iLife and just using the Pro apps, since the "tight integration" of iLife has never really been an issue for me, since I don't use .mac, I've never opened iWeb or iDVD, and I rarely see the "tight integration" in any other use of the apps.

Is there any compelling reason to keep the iLife programs, or should I just go ahead and reclaim the disk space they take up and just use the pro apps?

MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Quad i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB HHD - OS X 10.8
MacBook 2.0 GHz Core 2 Duo - 4 GB RAM - 320 GB HDD - OS X 10.6

MoTM February 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Mike S

Mike S is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5, Dual 2GHz Processors, 4GB RAM, MBP, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB iTouch

I'd personally stick to the professional applications since you're a film major. Final Cut is somehwhat of an industry standard, I'd focus on learning the ins-and-outs of the program.

Let me know how you like Final Cut Express. I do a little bit of video editing for the web and I'm thinking about switching from Final Cut HD to Final Cut Express. It's time to update and there's no sense in buying the full version if Express has everything I need.
QUOTE Thanks
Montie Da Champ

Montie Da Champ is an unknown at this point

Not saying this would relate to you, but I've heard of pro movie editors using iMovie to throw the movie together, and then use final cut to make the great effects, add music, and all that other cool junk the program does (i have no idea what it is capable of lol)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DC/Baltimore/NOVA strobist meet vid | Photoshop info »