New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Looking for a new Digtial Camera, help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

icyx

icyx is on a distinguished road

So i'm fairly new to photography, I taken basic classes like 3 years back but it was using the regular manual cameras. I'm not looking for something high end or really expensive but I'm looking for a Digital SLR that I can control f-stop and apature settings. Nothing too fancy, just want to be able to blur the back or focus on what I want instead of the point and shoot cameras. I was hoping someone here might know if some camera that may be a good choice, probably around the $500 range
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I just bought the Canon XTi / 400D from Sam's club for $646 new.. It is AWESOME.. I am really enjoying all it's features. I would highly recommend it.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

A Nikon d40 or Canon XT, with the kit lens, will probably run you about that much. Then you can pick up the 50mm f1/.8 for either. Canon's is $80 and Nikon's is $130 iirc.

You can look into the lenses for each, but unless you get bit by the bug or want pro quality, it probably won't matter what system you go with. You can get normal lenses for well under $500, just when you start getting to the pro quality lenses is when you're going to be paying $600-$5000 for a lens.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
EORI

EORI has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD

I have experience with both the Canon XT and XTi models. They are excellent choices for someone getting into DSLRs. In addition to the 50mm f/1.8 lens, the 18-55IS (IS stands for "Image Stabilization"; this is NOT the same as the cheaper, less impressive 18-55 kit lens) kit lens is not bad for a starter kit.

Happy to be back to a Mac
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

I bought the Canon XTi/400D to get back into photography and its a great camera. Just need to add a few things more....
QUOTE Thanks
kc0ngg

kc0ngg is on a distinguished road

A nikon D40 is about 499 here in Colorado. Maybe cheaper brand new online. A Nikon D40 reproduces skin and vibrant colors a little bit more than the XTI. If you want professional results you might as well save 2000 and buy a Canon or Nikon.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I know everybody is going to say either Canon or Nikon, but i will advice you to buy a Pentax, either a K100d or a K10d, they will give you great results at a lower price and include vibration reduction in the body, no special lenses. Plus, you can get a good 50mm from KEH.com for a very good price.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
photofiend

photofiend is on a distinguished road

mraya: I have a Pentax K100d and I am mostly into candid and portrait photos friends and family. I've taken some great pics, but have trouble with the lighting. Pictures come out yellow. What are the best lenses for the Pentax K100d?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have you got this wallpaper? | adobe cs3 and adobe cs2 »