Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    Quote Originally Posted by EORI View Post
    We're all equipment junkies to some extent (otherwise, why would we frequent this forum), and you're probably right about how most equipment gets wasted on mediocre results because the majority of the unwashed masses have no clue, or inclination to learn, how to use the equipment to its limits.

In the OP's case, I believe he was asking first and foremost whether this used lens was any good; that he could get it for $100. The unanimous answer from actual owners was a thumbs down, even for $100. Since the OP seemed to need a tele-zoom, it was left open to the peanut gallery to make recommendations, and sure enough, we advised the OP to spend money like it wasn't ours.

I think the more responsible thing would have been to make sure that the recommended lens met the OP's needs and skill level. It would be absurd indeed to advise spending hundreds and thousands of dollars if all the OP needed was a telezoom to take snapshots for a blog or 4x6 prints.
    No, but in ride's case it doesn't seem like $450-$500 is an ureachable goal as far as spending money on a lens goes. Just my observation from his spending. But unless you absolutely have to have a lens in that range, why spend $100, just when you're going to want to turn around and spend $500 when you find out the quality isn't there.

@Zoolook - There can be a huge difference in image quality though, and price usually reflects this. Most of the time, people coming on to forums fall in three groups: I'm rich and I want this, I'm wanting to further my ability and I want this, I'm happy with what I have.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    @Zoolook - There can be a huge difference in image quality though, and price usually reflects this. Most of the time, people coming on to forums fall in three groups: I'm rich and I want this, I'm wanting to further my ability and I want this, I'm happy with what I have.
    I understand that, and agree with you. I just wanted to make the point that some of the best ever photographs were taken with nothing more than a 50mm prime and a manual SLR. Good equipment does not necessarily equal good photography.

I must admit, I brought some of my prejudices around 'all the gear and no idea' type people into this thread, and it was probably not warranted. Apologies.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
    - Joan D. Vinge

Thread Information