New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Is Apple Cinema Display actually "wide gamut"? good for aRBG?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

k2snowboards88

k2snowboards88 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking for a monitor that has a true "wide gamut" of colors and does a good job of covering the adobe RBG color space. I've also been looking at the dell ultra sharp 2407wfp-hc monitor. If it came down to it, (and i cant round up the money for a 23" cinema display) would you buy the dell monitor or the 20" apple? Keep in mind that i don't play computer games. I"m only interested in photo editing?

Thanks for any input.

Dan
QUOTE Thanks
gana

gana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2GHz Power PC G5

Various review (from good PC reviewers like CNet) have stated that they found the Dell's image quality was less impressive with static images than with video and games. Apparently using a gretag colorimeter the Mac displays colour better ....
QUOTE Thanks
k2snowboards88

k2snowboards88 is on a distinguished road

That doesn't answer my question about whether or not it is wide gamut or not. "Wide Gamut" refers to the range of colors a monitor can display. Also, Cnet's review of that dell monitor is terrible. More scientific reviews say exactly the opposite.
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I don't believe it does. If you want something with a wide gamut or produces more than 95% of the Adobe RGB color space, check out an Eizo or a LaCie. You will be around $1500 or more but you'll get the wide gamut you're looking for.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
gana

gana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2GHz Power PC G5

Yeh I agree .. you get the gamut you pay for with a monitor. Eizo or a LaCie are real expensive for the average user but their gamut is excellent for the Adobe RGB color space .. I'm guessing you are a print designer and want to soft proof your work .. my printer uses LaCie and a colorimeter.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | A banner program? »