New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

convert tiff to jpg?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gazman

gazman is on a distinguished road

hi. i have just scanned in a whole bunch of old pics into iphoto. i put them in as tiffs...but am now wondering if i shoulda put them in as jpegs...can i convert them to jpegs? if so how? and is there a better one ? tiff or jpeg?
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

TIFF files are usually used for preparing files for printing. JPEG files are compressed files so that they take up less space on the computer and are ideal for using as graphics on the web. If you plan on printing out the pictures later and want good quality, keep them as TIFFs, otherwise if you just want to store a bunch on the computer to back up, change them to JPEG.

I'm sure if you don't have Adobe Photoshop you can always open the already scanned TIFF files in Gimp (google it!) and just save it as a JPEG. Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I'm sure Preview can do the conversion, just open the image and then select save as or export. If they are already in iPhoto, then iPhoto should also do the trick easily (export). Unless the size is a problem, i would leave them in TIFF.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

I believe imagewell will also do what you are asking.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19042
QUOTE Thanks
mac0s9user

mac0s9user is a jewel in the roughmac0s9user is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.

I second imagewell. it works great
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Graphic Converter can do a batch conversion of all those tiffs

http://www.lemkesoft.com/
QUOTE Thanks
gana

gana is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2GHz Power PC G5

One thing to be really careful of is working on jpeg images .. and saving them again and again. (say you want to crop them, fix colours etc) Everytime a jpeg is saved it recompresses the file and loses quality (jpeg is a lossy compression format and pixels are lost).
So best to work on them as tif files and then save them to tif (print) or jpeg (online) AT THE END.
QUOTE Thanks
gazman

gazman is on a distinguished road

hey, thats great, thanks heaps for the tips...reaLLY APPRECIATE..CHEERS
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

You could also check out Automator. It can convert them automatically for you. Also, if you enable folder actions, and add an applescript to it, any file that you drop in will automatically get converted to JPEG or whatever.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I second graphic converter

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
kc0ngg

kc0ngg is on a distinguished road

If you drag your images out of Iphoto into another folder, Iphoto will automatically convert them to JPG.
QUOTE Thanks
winkyonebomb

winkyonebomb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PMG5/2x1.8ghz/4gb BallistixTracer/400gbX2 SATAII Hitachi - 19&22"WS LCD's - 9600XT (1822) 4yrs old

JPEG at highest setting - TIFFS are used because if the image (TIFF) is 'bleeding' out of a box. Whatever can't be seen, doesn't get RIP'ed. Therefore keeping the PS (Postscript files) down to a minimum file size.

I ONLY use JPG (highest) commercially!
QUOTE Thanks
shirleyuguest

shirleyuguest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gana View Post
One thing to be really careful of is working on jpeg images .. and saving them again and again. (say you want to crop them, fix colours etc) Everytime a jpeg is saved it recompresses the file and loses quality (jpeg is a lossy compression format and pixels are lost).
So best to work on them as tif files and then save them to tif (print) or jpeg (online) AT THE END.
AMEN to that!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

You were smart to save the original scans as TIFF (a lossless format). Burn a copy of those onto a CD or DVD to preserve them, then convert your working ones (I assume you're done editing them) into JPGs.
QUOTE Thanks
mac_dk

mac_dk is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'm stupid, but on OSX you can "open" TIFF using Preview app and "save as" it as JPEG in one click.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« business card | Photography Website »