New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Newbie Switcher Question-iPhoto

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LSC

LSC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.2-2Gb-160Gb

Be gentle, I've just switched and a quick search didn't reveal an answer to my question.

I have used LightRoom and Photoshop to process my images and I understand how things work on the PC but not on the Mac. I have imported my images using LightRoom and stored them on the new MBP. For those who know LightRoom, it will allow the images to be stored in their designated folders and all adjustments are non-destructive AND unless you specify differently, LR will not create a duplicate image eating up HD space.

I want to be able to use iPhoto to upload images to my gallery and create a web page but I DO NOT want to import if iPhoto creates another image stored in it's own folders. Does iPhoto work similar to LR in that it doesn't need to create a new location and store the image under a new folder?

Cheers,
LSC
QUOTE Thanks
maanico1

maanico1 is on a distinguished road

to the best of my knowledge, anything imported into iphoto goes into a separate iphoto library, so yes it will create duplicates. however, there is a setting under advanced that you can un-check where things wont copy to the library, and you can presumably manually control ur folders
QUOTE Thanks
LSC

LSC is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.2-2Gb-160Gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by maanico1 View Post
to the best of my knowledge, anything imported into iphoto goes into a separate iphoto library, so yes it will create duplicates. however, there is a setting under advanced that you can un-check where things wont copy to the library, and you can presumably manually control ur folders
Thanks, tried the uncheck but still had to do a manual import. When I go into the finder and look into the Photo folder, it looks like iPhoto Library is in there and just does a reference to wherever the photo is stored. But, with my lack of experience, I don't know how to verify that this is true.

Any other insight would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
LSC
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A discussion on flashing - links and other stuff | iPhoto not uploading video »