New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iphoto image manipulation question


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
domromer

 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 122
domromer is on a distinguished road

domromer is offline
I was on the apple site and was reading through some info on Aperture. I found the blurb on iphoto, in iPhoto, the original is not modified. iPhoto makes a copy of the original, and then modifies the copy. Now is this an actual copy like another jpeg. Or is it like what happens in lightroom, does it just modify the exif data? If so this is a real pain I don't want tons of copies of the same photo.

Question 2.

I My MBP came with a free trial of Aperture. I didn't know what it was so didn't bother with it. Now I want to try it out and it says I'm past my 30 day trial. I tried to get a new key, but it still seems not to work. Am I SOL? I'd like to try it before I buy. I'm testing lightroom room now and am not really diggin it.
QUOTE Thanks
iLindzo

 
iLindzo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 01, 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 387
iLindzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads

iLindzo is offline
For Q1: After editing an image in iPhoto, it will look as though the original image has been changed, but you can always go back and "Revert to Original". You can always choose to create an actual copy if you'd like to go between 'em and compare or something.

As for Q2: I'm not sure if you can obtain an additional Free Trial.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at their computers.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
I was on the apple site and was reading through some info on Aperture. I found the blurb on iphoto, in iPhoto, the original is not modified. iPhoto makes a copy of the original, and then modifies the copy. Now is this an actual copy like another jpeg. Or is it like what happens in lightroom, does it just modify the exif data? If so this is a real pain I don't want tons of copies of the same photo.

Question 2.

I My MBP came with a free trial of Aperture. I didn't know what it was so didn't bother with it. Now I want to try it out and it says I'm past my 30 day trial. I tried to get a new key, but it still seems not to work. Am I SOL? I'd like to try it before I buy. I'm testing lightroom room now and am not really diggin it.
Getting a new key? Surely not the legal way?

Your 30-day trial started when you booted your Mac for the first time. You'll have to buy the suite or never mind and get something else. Look up eBay or Amazon, they sometimes have sales.
QUOTE Thanks
domromer

 
Member Since: Sep 30, 2007
Posts: 122
domromer is on a distinguished road

domromer is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacHeadCase View Post
Getting a new key? Surely not the legal way?

Your 30-day trial started when you booted your Mac for the first time. You'll have to buy the suite or never mind and get something else. Look up eBay or Amazon, they sometimes have sales.


If I was looking to do it illegaly I wouldn't be asking here about it. I think it's dumb the way they time the trials that come bundled with a new machine. It should be like any other trial that doean't start until you open it for the first time.

Now I'm probably not going to buy aperture becuse I can't try it fist. Apple looses a customer. Doesn't seem like a real smart way to do things.
QUOTE Thanks
Neo

 
Neo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 14, 2007
Posts: 557
Neo is a jewel in the roughNeo is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1

Neo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by domromer View Post
I was on the apple site and was reading through some info on Aperture. I found the blurb on iphoto, in iPhoto, the original is not modified. iPhoto makes a copy of the original, and then modifies the copy. Now is this an actual copy like another jpeg. Or is it like what happens in lightroom, does it just modify the exif data? If so this is a real pain I don't want tons of copies of the same photo. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLindzo View Post
For Q1: After editing an image in iPhoto, it will look as though the original image has been changed, but you can always go back and "Revert to Original". You can always choose to create an actual copy if you'd like to go between 'em and compare or something.
domromer, when you import a photo, iPhoto does make an actual copy of it to your iPhoto Library. Any edits you do in iPhoto make changes to that Library copy. iPhoto only makes one copy though. If you imported a photo, rotated it, recolored it, cropped it, and reduced redeye, in the end you would have two pictures on your computer: 1) the original photo, and 2) the rotated, recolored, cropped, un-redeyed photo. If you then click "Revert to Original" like iLindzo said, your edited photo in the iPhoto Library will be replaced by a fresh copy of the original. All your iPhoto edits will be lost, but you will still have two photos: one original and one copy of the original in the Library.

On the other hand (and you do not revert), you can Export... the edited photo, which allows you to save your edited photo in Finder, alongside your original file. iPhoto will not have any knowledge of this file, since a copy of it is not in the iPhoto Library (the photo in the Library that looks just like it, and whence it came, is ACTUALLY an edited copy of the original). You will then have three photos on your computer: the original, the copy that has been edited, and the exported edited photo (which iPhoto now considers a different original photo).

A diagram would be useful here...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Monster Jam | Paint Shop Pro 9 Download? »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Iphoto edit question Seanny66 Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography 1 10-20-2007 02:20 AM
IPhoto ANNOYANCES! I hate it!!!!!! MacNewbie OS X - Apps and Games 20 04-17-2007 10:08 AM
iPhoto Newbie Question About Library mac57 Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography 4 05-26-2006 07:15 AM
desktop image question deus_ex_machina Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography 2 09-24-2004 07:08 PM
how can I resize an image in iPhoto or Preview? wahdiatme Switcher Hangout 1 05-21-2004 08:42 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?