New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Total Noob question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morty192

morty192 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16ghz White

Feel free to laugh and shoot me down on this one guys because it might be the most stupid question you will ever hear!!!!

If I was to use my 3MP camera phone and take a picture can i then upload it to me mac and improve upon upon the picture quality i.e make it look like say a 10MP image? If (which i highly doubt the answer to this is a yes) what software would I use and is there anyway i can get this for free? (legally!)

Thank you for your replys
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You could open it up in photoshop and up the resolution, then use the Smart sharpen filter - but you are still just sharpening a lower resolution image - there are several paid for image upping utilities out there but they are still sharpening an image

Haven't got photoshop - try GIMP

http://www.macgimp.org/
QUOTE Thanks
morty192

morty192 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.16ghz White

Thanks for the reply but is MacGimp free? I have no money to spend on software as im still at school and have no income because i'm broke after buying this mac lol
QUOTE Thanks
TopDog

TopDog has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook / Mac Mini

You can not make a 3mp picture into something else... but as said, you, can adjust it to make it look better.

The auto adjust functions in iPhoto should be enough but http://www.pixelmator.com/ should be a great alternative if you want to spend a little money on a editing tool.

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

GIMP is part of The GNU Project, open source and free
QUOTE Thanks
wytwolf

wytwolf will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD

Can you make a 3mp picture into a 10mp picture? The answer is no.

Can your 3mp camera end up taking a 10mp picture? Yes with same post processing and some camera work.

If your only doing it once in a while fine, but it will become a pain in the (_)_) if you have to do it every picture. Basically you have to take multiple pictures of the same subject. For simplicity sake lets say 4 pictures. You have to stagger them such as that the 4 pictures are 4 quadrants with each one slightly over lapping the next above/below and left and right. Then you can use a program to stitch them together into one picture.

For example this picture from the stitch program PTGUI:

QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

No, you cannot. With any method you try, you are going to ask any program to make pixels out of thin air. It's more complicated than that but that's the simple way of thinking about it. Photoshop and other photo editors will evaluate the image and it will take each pixel and look at each surrounding pixel and determine what color should be there and add it. If you are upscaling the image in a small way (say 10% larger), the quality is a lot higher than if you were to upscale it to 50%. But the original file will always look best.
Go to ononesoftware.com and download the free 30 day trial of Geniune Fractals. It's what most Pros use and it does a far superior job compared to Photoshop when it comes to image enlarging.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yep even Photoshop can't boost a picture at over 300% and make it look like it was shot that way.

There is a Photoshop plugin called Genuine Fractals that is said to help you boost your photos to up to 800% and make a decent job of it but it isn't free and it works, to my knowledge in Photoshop which isn't free either.

And like louishen suggested, download Gimp, if you want free, that's the closest you can get to Photoshop. Other image editors are out there but Gimp is pretty close to Photoshop with its features.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

There's software out there, definitely not what the OP wants as it's expensive.

Genuine Fractals claims it can up size up to 1000%. I haven't done anything 1000% but I've went from 8mp to 24x36 with no loss of quality on the print.

If the op has the photo and wants it blown up, he can send it to me and I can transfer it back. What's the physical size of the photo?

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I want to try .... | How to make iPod advertisement style pics?? »