New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

iPhoto & iMovie '06 vs. '08

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mrchef1

mrchef1 is on a distinguished road

I've read a lot of negative comments about both iPhoto & iMovie '08 and that a lot of people feel that the '06 versions were better.

I've not used them yet so I'll hold off on my own judgement but I was wondering if in fact the '08 versions are not as good as the '06 can I purchase the '06 suite and just install those two programs from it...???

Probably a rookie question but that's because I won't even get my machine until next week...

Thanks in advance...
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

I can't speak for iMovie as I haven't got a video camera so don't use it.
I do however use iPhoto 08 daily and it is a definate improvement on iPhoto 06
Just in the editing dept alone. Events take a little getting used to . The learning curve isn't a steep one,iPhoto 08 does all I want it to. For other editing I use Pixelmator
QUOTE Thanks
Josh-H

Josh-H is on a distinguished road

Well iPhoto 08 is a definite improvement to 06 and iMovie 08 is totally new compared to 06. Which is better? Well that's a mater of personal opinion. But if you purchase iLife 08 you can download iMovie HD (06) for free. Best of both worlds.
QUOTE Thanks
mrchef1

mrchef1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks...As I said I'm not gonna pass judgement until I give them a fair shot...I'm just wondering if I have options...
QUOTE Thanks
verminofmsu

verminofmsu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15inch Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel DC 2Gb Ram 100Gb +750Gb WD ext *Glossy Screen* ;-)

I've used the old Imovie a lot and loved it. The New version that came with my mac eats a big one for my needs, I'm trying to import all the old family video's. My only way to get them from VCR to HD is through my PC program VHS to DVD by Honestech. This limits me only to Avi and Mpeg formats, of which the new iMovie doesn't want anything to do with. I've been going through a lot of trouble just to ne anle to use iMovie again. I've still yet to edit a single video because of Import problems. Does anyone know if I can get the old iMovie off my Tiger installation disks? ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
QUOTE Thanks
Kilted1

Kilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really niceKilted1 is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video

can't you download the ols iMovie from apple free ?
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

Now with Leopard

I was Member of the month April 08
QUOTE Thanks
verminofmsu

Mac Specs: 15inch Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel DC 2Gb Ram 100Gb +750Gb WD ext *Glossy Screen* ;-)

I appreciate the info, I'm wondering if imovie HD will work for me, I'm not using any HD video, and I'm looking for the old features found in 04, I was under the impression that 6 was the same. I guess I'll Let you know.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

This isn't that difficult a situation. iPhoto 08 is much better than 06, hands down. Now iMovie is a mixed bag, but the great part is that if you don't like 08, then 06 is available as a free download.

So there's really nothing for you to worry about. Just ignore all the criticism you've been reading about iLife 08, it's mostly nonsense.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
verminofmsu

I do like the new iPhoto much better but I'm still skeptical as to iMovie. I downloaded 06 (HD) and it still doesn't want to import the files I need. It won't import an Avi, mpeg of any kind, or a .mov file. My files won't open in quicktime either. The only way for me to play them is through VLC, and thats fine and dandy, but it doesn't help me with my editing situation. Anyone think purchasing quicktime pro would fix my situation? I've downloaded many codecs and they havn't made any difference. Let me know your thoughts.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop - not blending properly | Most Stupid Question Ever? »