New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Photoshop 7 on OS X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

26Jan

26Jan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: OS 10.4.10 Dual 867 MHz PowerPC G4 1 MB L3 cache per processor 512 MB DDR SDRAM

Hi, I'm new here.
I purchased the Education version of Photoshop 7 5 years ago when I took some graphics courses through our local college. It served my purposes well, playing with pictures that I took with my new digital camera, and I have really enjoyed learning as I go.

When the update 7.0.1 came out, I got an error message when I tried to launch it saying that it "could not find a valid copy of Photoshop,..etc." so I guessed it was because mine was an Educational version and gave it up.

I now have OS 10.4.10 and am running out of space on my hard drive. About 2 weeks ago, I tried to get rid of OS 9 and apparently deleted the system preferences for OSX as well! That caused many other problems, which I am dealing with slowly.

Photshop ran fine until a few days ago, when Adobe tried sending some sort of update file as soon as I launched the programme. It tried to download 2 files, and got stuck near the end; the download progress bar stayed on. I could not use the programme. I tried several times, then tried to update Photoshop again in case it would work this time. Again I got the "no valid,...etc. " message. Now, in addition to the download progress bar staying open, another error message appears:
"An error occurred while trying to download a file from the Adobe Online server. The request was not understood by the server. HTTP3400 - Bad Request."

Underneath these two boxes I can still see the Photoshop window - and it says that I now have version 7.0.1.

Sorry for the long story, but some things might be related to the problem. But which?

What do I do next?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

have you tried reinstalling the program, and not doing the update? i mean if it works fine without, do you really need it?
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

I have Photoshop 7 on my G4 that has OS 9 and OS X on separate partitions. Photoshop 7 runs in both systems and does share some of its files, but I dunno which.

When I've wiped and reloaded OS 9, Photoshop falls apart in OS X (it does for other reasons pertaining to 9 screwing up, as well). The only cure I've found is to wipe all its files from both partitions and reinstall it on the X side.

I run Little Snitch, and set it up to block Photoshop from phoning home (at least on the OS X side). I won't run it when connected to the net in 9. I don't want to have to keep reloading its updates when 9 screws it up.

So it's certainly likely the files lost when you wiped 9 bent Photoshop out of shape. You'll probably have to reinstall it. But without OS 9 on your machine, updates might run properly. If not, reinstall it again, and as ki99 suggested, don't run any updates.
QUOTE Thanks
dogboy443

dogboy443 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.4 Ghz Intel

Try this fix after you have re-installed P'Shop 7. Make sure your internet is disconnected while installing.

OS 9:

Find the folder "Web"
Located in:
System Folder/Application Support/Adobe/Web

Throw the folder "Web" away.

Mac OS X**

Find the folder "Web"
located in:
Library/Application Support/Adobe/Web

Throw the folder "Web" away.

Reconnect internet connection.

This way P'SHop won't try and phone home or look for updates automatically.

Cheers,
Mk

Lets Be Bad Guys.
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

Great stuff, dogboy! I've saved your post for the next time. Thanks a lot!
QUOTE Thanks
26Jan

26Jan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: OS 10.4.10 Dual 867 MHz PowerPC G4 1 MB L3 cache per processor 512 MB DDR SDRAM

THANK YOU, everyone for jumping in with ideas! I tried the simplest first after reinstalling, which was to delete the web folder from the Adobe folder. And my Photoshop is now working again!

A.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Strobist setup | I *HATE* Iphoto, i have thousands of pics . Any Reccs? »