New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

B/W pictures

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gigi1976

gigi1976 is on a distinguished road

I am wanting to change color pics to black and white with only certain areas colorized on the photo. I have Aperture and Iphoto. Can it be done in Aperture? I have googled for a while now, but cannot find an answer. If anyone knows of any software that can do this easily, I would love to hear about it!
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

If you're looking for free software to do this, GIMP may be able to as it's photoshop esque. If you want easy, ask some one else to do it for you.

Either way either consists of using layers to create a B&W layer over the original color, creating a layer mask for the B&W layer, then "painting" over the layer mask over the color portions with the cursor as a brush to reveal the color beneath. It can be a pain and you have to watch that you don't get color bleeds or it can look funny in spots.

Here was my very first attempt:

This was done a little differently than the above technique with just a desaturation and history brush.

I use photoshop.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
gigi1976

gigi1976 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the prompt response! That's a very impressive first attempt!
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1976 View Post
Thanks for the prompt response! That's a very impressive first attempt!
It's like if you ever tried to create anything in paint, pixel by pixel. You have to zoom in, sometimes past 100%, and get the lines just right. A tablet is a very helpful tool in doing this from what I've heard. You can find a cheap one for under $100.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
blakbook

blakbook is on a distinguished road

i have always used photoshop cs2. i just select the area that i would like to keep color with the magic wand. then right click-select inverse-then desaturate. hope that is some help.

-jeremi
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakbook View Post
i have always used photoshop cs2. i just select the area that i would like to keep color with the magic wand. then right click-select inverse-then desaturate. hope that is some help.

-jeremi
The problem with this is that unless it's a clear difference, the magic wand can be real crap for selection. There's times where no matter how much poking and prodding you do, the wand will select things outside of your bounds because of subtle color difference. It's not that photo shop is bad, it's just that sometimes you have to revert to a manual function vs. an automatic to get what you absolutely want.

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
blakbook

blakbook is on a distinguished road

this is so very true. i have found that you have to turn down the tolerance way down to get just what you want.

-jeremi

edit: this is just one of many that i have done. i found it in my photobucket from a long time ago.

LNK-never sleep
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
The problem with this is that unless it's a clear difference, the magic wand can be real crap for selection.
I agree. That is why I normally use the pen tool to separate my selections. It takes a lot of practice and patience, but you can become very adept and accurate with it in time.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
CackalackyMac

CackalackyMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17' iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 1g ram | iPod Photo 60gb | 2G Shuffle

Aperture has a convert-to-B&W function built in. On the right-hand side, on the adjustments tab, click on the top right corner- it's an icon that looks like a +. You can either use the monochrome mixer, which converts to B&W and allows adjustments, or you can use the color monochrome, which converts to a one-color scheme. You can play with the color and how much it is applied in there.

-CM

spice.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Photoshop or Gimp | Photoshop..? »