New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Nikon D40 and MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kedamak

kedamak is on a distinguished road

I am a new Mac user and new to the whole world of Digital Photography so my question may seem very elementary but since I don't know I'm asking. I am considering buying a Nikon D40 but I can't figure out if it is compatible with the MacBook. In other words, will I need additional software and anything special to connect the camera to my Macbook or will the USB cable that comes with the camera be enough? Can I connect the camera directly to the Mac or do I need a card reader? Just trying to figure out if getting this camera will be worth it in the long run. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

You'll just be able to plug it in. OS X will mount the cameras memory card as an external storage device, you can then import what you would like If you want to manage the photos, aperture or adobe bridge will work well as an alternative to iPhoto, assuming you wouldn't want to use iPhoto.

The camera is definitely worth it.

QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

I have a D70 so I assume your 40 will work the same. My camera connects with the USB cable directly to my machines.
QUOTE Thanks
trojanmike

trojanmike is on a distinguished road

I have the D50 and use a card reader without any problems. You won't be disappointed with the quality of a Nikon DSLR .
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

As mentioned, a card reader is the way to go!
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

joe.morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

I have a nikon p5000 and a Cannon d400 but my mac pro wont recognise them if i jsut plug the camera straight into the usb port. i bought a card reader which solved my problems but how comes my mac wont pick them up?
QUOTE Thanks
kedamak

kedamak is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to come back and thank everyone for their comments. I bought the Nikon D40 and I love this camera. Also, my MacBook picked it up with no problems at all. Thanks everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.morgan View Post
I have a nikon p5000 and a Cannon d400 but my mac pro wont recognise them if i jsut plug the camera straight into the usb port. i bought a card reader which solved my problems but how comes my mac wont pick them up?
I have the 300d and I know for a fact that Apple doesn't mount the canon as a disk image. If you open up "image capture" it will display the pictures there and from there you can rip them etc.

Alex
QUOTE Thanks
mac747

mac747 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

My wife has a D50 and a D200 for work and plugs both in with no problem at all.

T
QUOTE Thanks
o0getfighted0o

o0getfighted0o is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" 2.1 GHz PPC G5 iMac, 15" 2.2 GHz Intel Macbook Pro

If you can get your hands on Adobe Lightroom, do it. Its awesome, far superior to Aperture.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need a slideshow app | iphoto 08 help »