Specs:
    13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD
    Feedback on iMAC specs for Photoshop CS3 Extended
    I need a bit of feedback here - I have a friend who wants an iMAC for viewing images with Photoshop and for simple web browsing and etc. Now he is nto goin to really be doing any editing but just mere viewing. The images would potentially be in 2D/3D type format so I figured he'd be better off with Photoshop CS3 Extended. But the question is would 2 gig suffice for this or should he bump it up to 4 gig. If he can do the work with 2 gig then that would be great - then later we can probably always order the memory elsewhere cheaper than the 700 bucks that Apple asks for their memory.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Billy
    Billy Koch
    A Mac Noob - Turning to the Dark Side...

Specs:
    Sooper Fast!
    uh...he could view images in photoshop with a 5 year old pc for $100 and save himself a lot of money. Why does he want an iMac and photoshop just to view photos if there's no editing? 2gb more than suffices for heavy editing, so viewing won't even tax that.
    Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
    Capitol Sound Blog

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
    uh...he could view images in photoshop with a 5 year old pc for $100 and save himself a lot of money. Why does he want an iMac and photoshop just to view photos if there's no editing? 2gb more than suffices for heavy editing, so viewing won't even tax that.
    yep, here's a brand new e-machines that will do that for $280
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post

Actually let me be a bit more clearer and more in depth. He is a Neurologist. So in otherwords he will be looking at pictures of brains and images of brains and etc. *And he hates Windows*

Does this help?
    Billy Koch

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    On that note - would recommend the 24" for screen real estate.
    No need to go with the upgraded processor for his use.
    And yes, inho, the 2GB would be plenty.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
    2gb is more than plenty... but if he's just viewing images, why bother with Photoshop? I guess for the 3D feature... there's got to be something cheaper though.

I wonder what file format these 3D brains are in... and if Photoshop can even handle it...
    Behance Design/Photography Porfolio

Specs:
    He was very specific that he wanted to use Photoshop. So I saw that the Extended offered the 2D and 3D formats. So I just wantedto make sure that 2 gig would be enough (I figured it would) just didnt want to see him spend an extra 2 gig for 700 bucks for something he doesnt really need.
    Billy Koch

Specs:
    MacBook
    Quote Originally Posted by Defsolutions View Post
    Actually let me be a bit more clearer and more in depth. He is a Neurologist. So in otherwords he will be looking at pictures of brains and images of brains and etc. *And he hates Windows*

Does this help?
    Honestly, it really doesn't change things. If he only wants to view images, then he can use any computer for that.

If these images are 3D, then there is likely some proprietary app for viewing them already. The new PS Extended can handle and view files for 3DS, OBJ, U3D, KMZ, and COLLADA. If the file isn't one of those types, then PS is probably overkill

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

He's a Neurologist. I'm sure he can come up with the cash for Photoshop. Heck, he'll probably just bill the hospital.
    iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station

Thread Information