New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography Discussion of all things graphics.

Feedback on iMAC specs for Photoshop CS3 Extended

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Defsolutions

Defsolutions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD

I need a bit of feedback here - I have a friend who wants an iMAC for viewing images with Photoshop and for simple web browsing and etc. Now he is nto goin to really be doing any editing but just mere viewing. The images would potentially be in 2D/3D type format so I figured he'd be better off with Photoshop CS3 Extended. But the question is would 2 gig suffice for this or should he bump it up to 4 gig. If he can do the work with 2 gig then that would be great - then later we can probably always order the memory elsewhere cheaper than the 700 bucks that Apple asks for their memory.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Billy

Billy Koch
A Mac Noob - Turning to the Dark Side...
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

uh...he could view images in photoshop with a 5 year old pc for $100 and save himself a lot of money. Why does he want an iMac and photoshop just to view photos if there's no editing? 2gb more than suffices for heavy editing, so viewing won't even tax that.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
uh...he could view images in photoshop with a 5 year old pc for $100 and save himself a lot of money. Why does he want an iMac and photoshop just to view photos if there's no editing? 2gb more than suffices for heavy editing, so viewing won't even tax that.
yep, here's a brand new e-machines that will do that for $280

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Defsolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post

Actually let me be a bit more clearer and more in depth. He is a Neurologist. So in otherwords he will be looking at pictures of brains and images of brains and etc. *And he hates Windows*

Does this help?

Billy Koch
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

On that note - would recommend the 24" for screen real estate.
No need to go with the upgraded processor for his use.
And yes, inho, the 2GB would be plenty.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Leukeh

Leukeh is a jewel in the roughLeukeh is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM

2gb is more than plenty... but if he's just viewing images, why bother with Photoshop? I guess for the 3D feature... there's got to be something cheaper though.

I wonder what file format these 3D brains are in... and if Photoshop can even handle it...

Behance Design/Photography Porfolio
QUOTE Thanks
Defsolutions

He was very specific that he wanted to use Photoshop. So I saw that the Extended offered the 2D and 3D formats. So I just wantedto make sure that 2 gig would be enough (I figured it would) just didnt want to see him spend an extra 2 gig for 700 bucks for something he doesnt really need.

Billy Koch
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defsolutions View Post
Actually let me be a bit more clearer and more in depth. He is a Neurologist. So in otherwords he will be looking at pictures of brains and images of brains and etc. *And he hates Windows*

Does this help?
Honestly, it really doesn't change things. If he only wants to view images, then he can use any computer for that.

If these images are 3D, then there is likely some proprietary app for viewing them already. The new PS Extended can handle and view files for 3DS, OBJ, U3D, KMZ, and COLLADA. If the file isn't one of those types, then PS is probably overkill

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Cherokee

Cherokee is a jewel in the roughCherokee is a jewel in the rough

He's a Neurologist. I'm sure he can come up with the cash for Photoshop. Heck, he'll probably just bill the hospital.

iMac - 2.4 C2D - 4GB RAM | MacBook - 2.0 C2D - 2GB RAM | AirPort Extreme Base Station
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Printing | AVI , SWF , GIF Converters »